NEWS AND TRIBUNE
Visiting the real Italy may require a trip across the ocean and a lot of vacation time.
Not to worry. The Jeffersonville Italian Festival 2013, hosted by Adrienne and Co., from Sept. 27-29, will give you the feeling of being at an authentic Italian neighborhood street festival in “Little Italy” without leaving Southern Indiana. Featuring authentic Italian food, music, and activities in a family-friendly atmosphere, the Jeffersonville Italian Festival 2013 allows everyone to be “Italian for a day.” Admission is $3 per person, with children 5 and under getting in for free. The 2012 installment of the festival drew about 8,000 people, with more than 12,000 expected this year.
Featured will be:
• Authentic Italian foods, pastries, desserts, and drinks
• Live music and entertainment
• World Famous Franco Corso, “The Voice of Romance,” performing Saturday Night
• Spaghetti eating, cake eating, cannoli-eating and pizza dough tossing contests sponsored by Adrienne and Co. Bakery Cafe
• Beautiful bambino contest
• Children’s games and activities
• Italian folk dancing lessons for adults and children
• Grape tossing contest sponsored by Old 502 Winery
• Hot pepper-eating sponsored by Sancho Miguel’s Salsa
• Arts and crafts vendors
• Bocce courts
The Italians have a long tradition in the area, dating back to the late 1800s when they settled downtown near the old Haymarket location to create Louisville’s version of “Little Italy.” While the “Little Italy” of Louisville is long gone, the Jeffersonville Italian Festival 2013 is designed to recreate the feel of a traditional Italian Street festival common to Italian neighborhoods by featuring authentic Italian
food and pastries prepared by local Italian restaurants and a focus on the family, just like it used to be in the old days back in Little Italy.
The hours of the festival are 5 to 9 p.m. Sept. 27; 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sept. 28; and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 29 on the street in front of Adrienne and Co., 129 W. Court Ave.
Visit JeffItalianFest.com for more information.