An 87-year-old Jeffersonville woman died after succumbing to injuries sustained in an automobile accident on East 10th Street about 3 p.m. Wednesday.
Georgie L. Avery, of 1024 Springdale Drive, was air lifted to University of Louisville Hospital from the wreck scene. The Jeffersonville Police Department reported that Avery was pulling out of Gray and Wells Body Shop located at 2005 E. 10 St. and was preparing to turn left onto the roadway.
Before Avery crossed the median, the driver’s-side door of her 2002 S40 Volvo was struck by an oncoming 2011 Ford F-150 driven by Tricia L. Jaggers, 40, of Jeffersonville. Jaggers told police she was traveling between 35 mph and 40 mph when Avery’s vehicle entered the path of her pickup truck. Jaggers also told police she did not have time to apply her brakes before the front of her vehicle struck the side of Avery’s Volvo.
According to the accident report, Avery suffered severe bleeding to her head following the collision. Avery was wearing her seat belt and the vehicle’s airbag deployed at time of impact, according to the report.
Police identified the cause of the accident as Avery’s failure to yield to oncoming traffic.
No charges are pending against Jaggers, police said.
Police said Avery was previously employed in the records office of at JPD.
Thursday’s collision on 10th St. killed former JPD worker
- ‘I’m just moving forward’: Acquitted in his family’s murder, David Camm gives first public talk
- Clark County officials balk at Jeffersonville partnerships
- INDOT contract for state road clean-up signed in Jeffersonville
- Clark County commissioners renew health insurance
- Meeting with INDOT yields no new Big Four opening date in Jeffersonville
- Clarksville murder suspects in court
- DEA, FBI serve search warrant at Jeffersonville medical center
- Grand opening scheduled for Jeffersonville’s Woehrle Athletic Complex
- Indiana BMV extends hours for voters needing photo IDs
- MOSS: Business leaders praise 1si’s Dant Chesser for leadership