By BRADEN LAMMERS
Several approvals were made at a Jeffersonville Board of Public Works meeting Wednesday related to a $250,000 Main Street Revitalization grant received from the state.
The grant will pay for the redevelopment of Chestnut Street, between Pearl and Spring streets. When the road — which will be widened, include bike lanes, sidewalks, new lighting, bike racks, benches and new trees — is completed it will provide a link between the landing of the Big Four pedestrian bridge and Jeffersonville’s downtown shopping district.
The Jeffersonville Redevelopment Commission is paying $128,619 in matching funds from the Falls Landing TIF and the Urban Enterprise Zone covered the remainder of the city’s 50 percent match for the project.
City Attorney Les Merkley said the board of public works needed to offer its approval to accept the grant. The grant was unanimously accepted.
In addition, a contract with River Hills to provide grant services, along with the city’s grant writer, not to exceed $28,000 was approved. A contract with Structure Point for engineering services on the Chestnut Street project was also approved at a not-to-exceed amount of $82,323.
• A street closure previously approved by the board of public works will allow for the installation of a war memorial to Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans on Riverside Drive, near the Big Four pedestrian bridge is set for 8 a.m. Friday.
The street is expected to be closed for a minimum of two hours.
• A street closure was approved for Franklin Square from Mechanic Street to the entrance of the parking lot for Nachand Fieldhouse.
The road closure is set to begin before 8 p.m. on Saturday and is related to accommodate The Crashers, a local rock ‘n’ roll cover band, to host its Monster Crash 2: The Haunted Prom from 8 p.m. to midnight.
In addition to the road closure the board of public works agreed to extend the noise ordinance until midnight.
• A road closure for Buckets’ Shop with a Cop car show was unanimously approved.
The eighth annual car show will be from noon to 3 p.m., with registration beginning at 9 a.m., Nov. 3, in the Clark County Courthouse parking lot behind Buckets at 430 Seventh St.
The road closure will run from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and include Watt Street from 7th Street to Court Avenue.
Holiday schedule 2013
The board of public works also approved a holiday schedule for 2013. City offices will be closed on:
• New Year’s Day and the day after- Tuesday and Wednesday, Jan. 1 and 2.
• Martin Luther King Day- Monday, Jan. 21.
• President’s Day- Monday, Feb. 18.
• Good Friday- Friday, March 29.
• Memorial Day- Monday, May 27.
• Independence Day- Friday, July 4.
• Labor Day- Monday, Sept. 2.
• Columbus Day- Monday, Oct. 14.
• Veterans Day- Monday, Nov. 11.
• Thanksgiving Day and the day after- Thursday and Friday, Nov. 27 and 28.
• Christmas Day and the day after — Dec. 25 and 26.