Edward D. “Ed” Clere
• POLITICAL PARTY AFFILIATION: Republican
• AGE: 36
• EDUCATION HIGHLIGHTS: B.A. in sociology from Indiana University Southeast
• CAREER HIGHLIGHTS: Real estate agent since 2001. Broker/owner of RE/MAX Results in New Albany
• FAMILY NOTES: Wife, Amy, two children and three stepchildren
1) DO YOU SUPPORT TOLLS AS A MEANS TO PAY FOR TWO NEW BRIDGES ACROSS THE OHIO RIVER?
“:Special interests are trying to use tolls as a scare tactic to kill the bridges project altogether. Politicians have failed for decades to build the bridges, and I won’t use the issue of tolls to score cheap political points. There’s too much at stake, including tens of thousands of jobs. This isn’t a question of being for or against tolls. It’s a question of being for or against jobs, and I’m for jobs. I don’t want to pay tolls. I also don’t want to leave the bridges project as a problem for my children to solve. It’s our responsibility to find a way to move forward. I’m eager to see the financing plan the bi-state Bridges Authority will propose later this year. If the plan involves tolls, I will have the same questions and concerns as anyone else who lives here and uses the bridges. I won’t, however, take a position against something that hasn’t been proposed in a cynical attempt to win an election.”
2) DO YOU SUPPORT THE CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT THAT WOULD CAP PROPERTY TAXES IN THE STATE?
3) MANY LOCAL GOVERNMENTS AND SCHOOL DISTRICTS ARE HAVING TO CUT SERVICES OR LAYOFF EMPLOYEES DUE TO LACK OF FUNDS. IS THIS A PROBLEM? IF SO, WHAT IS YOUR SUGGESTED SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM?
“Government has to make do with less because Hoosiers are making do with less. Individuals and families – including mine – have found ways to live within their means, and government must learn to do the same. The solution is to continue to work to make Indiana as attractive as possible to companies that can create jobs. More jobs will mean more revenue. Higher taxes are not the answer. Jobs are the answer.”