Residents and businesses in the Old Jeffersonville Historic District should plan for traffic and utility disruptions as five historic houses are moved, with work scheduled to begin Wednesday, May 29.
The historic houses are being relocated to make room for the Ohio River Bridges Project, which was required under federal law to assess and minimize impacts on historic resources, according to an Indiana Department of Transportation news release.
A rolling road closure will be established as each house is moved. Street lights will be taken down and then reinstalled. Traffic signals at Spring and Market streets will be replaced with a four-way stop for a few days during the second and third house moves, which are scheduled to occur June 3 and June 6. Parking will be prohibited along the routes during each move. Signage will be placed in advance to provide notification prior to vehicles being towed.
Access to driveways and parking lots along the routes could be restricted for brief periods during the move. INDOT is coordinating with emergency services to ensure access at all times, the release says.
Electricity and cable TV service will be disrupted at various times along the moving routes. Disruptions should last no more than one to two hours. Notices will be sent to affected residences and businesses along each route advising them of all anticipated disruptions and restrictions.
Listed below are anticipated dates and routes for the house moves:
• Wednesday, May 29 — 502 W. Market St. to 310 Mechanic St.; Route: Left on Market Street, left on Mulberry Street, right on Chestnut Street, left on Mechanic Street.
• June 3 — 432 Riverside Drive to 307/309 Pearl St.; Route: Left on Riverside Drive, left on Spring Street, left on Market Street, right on Pearl Street.
• June 6 — 502 Riverside Drive to 411 W. Market St.; Route: Left on Riverside Drive, left on Spring Street, left on Market Street, right on Pearl Street, left on Chestnut Street, left on Mulberry Street, right on Market Street.
• June 12 — 115 Fort St. to 411 E. Maple St.; Route: Left on Riverside Drive, left on Locust Street, right on Maple Street.
• June 19 — 116 Fort St. to 626 E. Seventh St.; Route: Left on Riverside Drive, left on Locust Street, right on Chestnut Street, left on Meigs Avenue, right on Court Avenue, left on Mechanic Street.
The five homes were identified as contributing structures to the Old Jeffersonville Historic District. Under agreements with the Federal Highway Administration, the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, the historic preservation officers of Indiana and Kentucky, and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, INDOT is relocating the homes to new locations within or near the Historic District. After relocation, minor renovations will occur prior to the buildings being auctioned to new owners.