News and Tribune

May 3, 2013

Domestic dispute lands Henryville man in jail



A Henryville man was arrested last month in his home by Clark County Sheriff’s Department deputies on charges of battery toward two of his female family members.

Kenneth W. Kliesendorff, 46, of 8043 Ind. 160 E., had become upset that a female relative had skipped school and had a cell phone in her possession that he hadn’t approved of, according to the probable-cause affidavit. The girl is less than 14 years old, and the other alleged victim is Deanna Kliesendorff, a cousin to the minor. The child and Deanna Kliesendorff had called 911 on separate phones before deputies arrived to the home.

According to the affidavit, 911 operators reported both victims were  “screaming and crying and not able to give much detail,” when the calls were made.

When officers arrived at the home, they met Kenneth Kliesendorff, who said that he had been in an argument with the girl about skipping a day of school and having a cell phone, which was given to her by Deanna Kliesendorff.

Kenneth Kliesendorff told police that after he took the phone away from the child and told her she was grounded, she began to throw a fit and scream at him, according to the affidavit.

“Mr. Kliesendorff reported that he grabbed [the child] and made her sit on the couch and told her to stay there until she calmed down,” according to the affidavit.

He said Deanna Kliesendorff then entered the area and began to yell at him.

“Mr. Kliesendorff reported that Deanna had gotten very close to him while yelling and screaming, so he pushed her back slightly to gain room between them,” according to the affidavit.

Deputies noted in the report that a case had recently been worked involving the minor claiming abuse from Kenneth Kliesendorff, but the case had been believed to be unfounded and since closed.

Deputies found the minor and Deanna Kliesendorff in an upstairs bedroom of the home.

“Both appeared very upset and frightened, having sweat and tears covering their faces,” according to the affidavit. “Both were visibly shaken and [the child] was unable to stop crying.”

Deputies reported seeing some redness around the neck and both arms of the minor. She also had dirt on both knees and a cut on her right knee, deputies reported.

The child reported that Kenneth Kliesendorff had become angry over her having a cell phone.

“[The girl] reported she did argue with [Kenneth Kliesendorff], but that he grabbed her with both hands around her throat, lifted her up, and then threw her to the ground,” according to the affidavit.

She also reported he “grabbed her by her arm and began dragging her across the ground into the downstairs portion of the home,” before Deanna Kliesendorff entered the area. 

Deputies then interviewed Deanna Kliesendorff, who was seen with “a red-colored mark on her right upper chest,” according to the affidavit.

The woman reported that she had been in the upstairs of the home when she heard the argument break out and then a loud crash.

“[Deanna Kliesendorff] reported she had been staying with [the child] and the others due to the past allegations of battery against [the child] and Mr. Kliesendorff,” according to the affidavit.

After going downstairs to see what was causing the commotion, Deanna Kliesendorff told the deputies she saw Kenneth Kliesendorff dragging the child by her wrist into the downstairs rooms. When Deanna Kliesendorff told him stop, Kenneth Kliesendorff threw the cell phone at her, and it struck her in the chest, “and then Mr. Kliesendorff came at her using both his hands to push her to the ground,” according to the report.

Deanna Kliesendorff said the fall did not cause her any serious injury.

The child then went to the cell phone, ran up the stairs and called 911. Deanna Kliesendorff also called 911 from another phone.

The child and Deanna Kliesendorff reported Kenneth Kliesendorff stayed in the downstairs of the home when he knew police had been called.

After statements were taken, Kenneth Kliesendorff was placed under arrest.

He has been charged in Clark County Circuit Court No. 3 with battery to a minor and strangulation, both class D felonies, and battery, a class A misdemeanor. 

Four days after his arrest, Kliesendorff was released on his own recognizance from the Michael L. Becher Adult Correctional Complex. Online court records did not reflect his next court appearance as of press time.