LANDFILL AGREEMENT SIGNED
The board of public works signed an agreement for the rest of the year to take its trash to the Clark-Floyd Landfill, LLC.
The agreement is dated from Jan. 1, 2013 to Dec. 31, 2013, is renewable on a year-to-year basis and is severable with mutual agreement between the two entities, said City Attorney Les Merkley.
Costs outlined in the contract will have the city paying $19.15 per ton of waste brought to the landfill. The previous contract cost the city $18.75 per ton, but was being transported to a landfill across the Ohio River in Louisville.
“This will relieve the burden on the taxpayer of Jeffersonville from previous [Clark] County Council commitments made to secure bonds,” Merkley said.
Clark County agreed to issue bonds in 2011 for $9.1 million to help expand the Clark-Floyd Landfill, LLC and install a slurry wall — a requirement deemed necessary by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management. Property taxes were used as a backup when the county issued the bonds.
According to an agreement in previously in place with Jeffersonville, the city was to take all of its solid waste to the Clark-Floyd Landfill, but it stopped taking its trash to the landfill under the previous administration and an exclusive agreement between the city and the landfill expired Dec. 31, 2011.
The new contract was unanimously approved Wednesday.
HOME RELOCATION SCHEDULE
• May 1-3: Begin work on first home (502 W. Market St.)
• May 6-10: Raise first house, prepare for the move; prepare house two (432 W. Riverside Drive)
• May 13-17: Raise second house, prepare for the move; prepare house three (502 W. Riverside Drive)
• May 20-24: Raise third house, prepare for the move; move house one to the new lot.
• May 27-31: Prepare house four (115 Fort St.)
• June 3-7: Raise fourth house, prepare for the move; move house two and three to new lots.
• June 10-14: Prepare fifth house (116 Fort St.); move fourth house to the new lot.
• June 17-21: Raise fifth house, prepare it for the move and move the house to the new lot.