News and Tribune

April 18, 2013

Woman on trial following Jeffersonville murder

Charges stem from robbery that turned deadly


JEFFERSONVILLE —  A woman believed to be involved in a 2011 robbery that resulted in the fatal shooting of a Jeffersonville man is on trial in a Clark County court.

Katrina Kay Baker, 27, of 213 Kopp Ave. in Jeffersonville, has been charged with robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery, both class A felonies.

Baker faces a maximum of 100 years in prison if found guilty of both charges.

Jury selection began Tuesday in Clark County Circuit Court No. 1 with Judge Daniel Moore presiding.

Clark County Deputy Prosecutor Jennifer Harmeyer called three witnesses to testify before the end of the trial’s first day.

Her witnesses were two Jeffersonville police officers and a Jefferson County medical examiner.

Baker is being represented by public defender Thomas Bird, of New Albany, and co-counsel Bradley Jacobs, of Jeffersonville.

The trial was suspended Wednesday because of a conflict of scheduling and was set to continue this morning.

Baker is believed by police to have been in a pickup truck with Anthony Redd about 11 p.m., Oct. 21, 2011, when he was gunned down.

Police reported Baker had been providing Redd oral sex, moments before her uncle Joseph Mayes approached the vehicle’s driver’s-side window and shot Redd four times in the head and face.

Mayes was convicted of voluntary manslaughter in November 2012. He was given a sentence of 30 years in prison followed by a 20-year probation term.

According to the probable cause affidavit, police believe Baker and Mayes had conspired to rob Redd before he was killed.


During their investigation, Jeffersonville police detectives spoke with a friend of Redd on Oct. 23, two days after Redd’s murder.

According to the probable cause affidavit, the man told police that he had been with Redd around 10:30 p.m. the day he was killed. The man said Redd had been on the phone, and he could hear what sounded like a woman’s voice coming from the phone during the conversation.

At this time, Redd had told the man he was on his way to pick up Percocets, a medically prescribed controlled substance. The man also told police that he was aware Redd illegally sold prescription medication.

“[The witness] further explained that he had been with Redd on a previous occasion when he delivered pills to a female he identified as Katrina,” according to the probable cause affidavit. “He said Redd had bragged to him that he sold pills to her and she would also trade sexual favors for pills.”

The witness gave police a physical description of Baker and said that she lived a short distance from where Redd’s body was found.

Investigators reported that police records showed Baker lived at a home along Kopp Avenue. The witness was also shown a photo of Baker, which he positively identified as the woman Redd had sold pills to.

Detectives continued their investigation and obtained the records of the phone that had been in Redd’s possession. They reported finding  six phone calls made to or from his phone after 10 p.m., the night of his death. Four of the calls were listed as a land line at Baker’s residence, the last two calls made between 11:02 and 11:08 p.m.


A search was obtained for Baker and Mayes’ home, to search for the firearm that killed Redd, police reported. During the execution of the search warrant, police found in the home Baker, James Lawson and Charles Mayes [Baker’s uncle and Joseph Mayes’ brother], but the firearm was not located.

The trio was taken to Jeffersonville Police Department for questioning.

While Baker was being interviewed by investigators she admitted her addiction to prescription pills and that Redd was a friend that sold her drugs.

According to the probable cause affidavit, Baker initially told officers that she had purchased four Loratab pills from Redd about 9 p.m. the day of his death. She said that he had delivered the pills to her home and left.

“[Baker] admitted that she did have a sexual relationship with Redd, but denied trading sexual favors for narcotics,” according to the affidavit.

Police reported after further questioning Baker requested her right to an attorney, and the interview was terminated.

Investigators then spoke with Lawson, who identified himself as Baker’s boyfriend and father of two of her children. He also lived in the Kopp Avenue home, he told police.

“Lawson initially denied any knowledge of the robbery and murder of Anthony Redd,” according to the affidavit. “As the interview continued, Lawson changed his statement, admitting knowledge of the crime.”

Lawson said he was in the Kopp Avenue home the night of Redd’s death and overheard a phone conversation arranging a drug transaction between Baker and Redd.

“When Baker got off the phone, she told him that she and [Joseph Mayes] were planning to rob Anthony Redd for $2,000 and 90 pills,” Lawson told investigators.

Lawson then told police that Baker left the home when Redd arrived and was gone for several minutes. During the time Baker was out of the home, Lawson reported hearing one gunshot come from outside the residence.

“When Baker and Mayes returned, Mayes immediately stripped off his clothing and placed them in the [clothes] washer,” according the affidavit. “Lawson took Baker’s clothes and asked Mayes if he could put her clothing with his, offering some detergent to put in the washing machine.”

Lawson continued to tell police that Baker had received about 18 Loratab pills from the robbery.

“[Lawson] and Baker divided the pills between the two of them and consumed all but one of them,” according to the affidavit.

During Lawson’s interview, Baker requested to speak again with investigators.

At this time, according to the affidavit, Baker told police she had talked to her uncle about what Redd would have in his possession, after he had asked her what they could “get from Redd.”

She explained to police that Redd had pulled up to the home and she got into the passenger seat of his pickup truck and the two drove a short distance to an alley on the side of the home.

After the vehicle was stopped, Baker told police, she began to perform oral sex on Redd. Mayes then approached the truck at the driver’s-side window.

“Redd lowered the window just a few inches and Mayes asked him if he had any pills,” according to the affidavit. “When Redd replied that he didn’t have any, Mayes pointed his gun into the window opening and fired several shots into the face of Anthony Redd.”

Baker told investigators she then “panicked and immediately fled back into the house.”

At the home, she told police, Mayes gave her $60 and 18 Loratab pills.

During the questioning, Baker gave police information to locate Mayes.

Police then spoke with Charles Mayes who was also taken into questioning after police went to the home to carry out the search warrant.

Charles Mayes told investigators he had no direct knowledge of Redd’s murder.

He told police he had returned to the home the following morning about 4 a.m. to find Baker and Lawson appearing  “very high,” and Joseph Mayes asleep on a couch.

He said he was aware of Redd and that Baker would pay him money for pills, and at times, perform sexual favors.

Charles Mayes said that he suspected his brother, his niece and Lawson to be involved in Redd’s death, as he knew them to have robbed people in the past.

Following the interviews, Baker was arrested and preliminarily charged with murder and robbery. Lawson was charged with obstruction of justice.

Baker has remained in the Michael L. Becher Adult Correctional Complex since her arrest.

Jeffersonville police later took Joseph Mayes into custody at River’s Edge Motel in Clarksville.