News and Tribune

January 24, 2013

Jeffersonville property destruction delayed, for now

Six months given to make home inhabitable

By BRADEN LAMMERS
braden.lammers@newsandtribune.com

JEFFERSONVILLE — A home that has been a blight on a Jeffersonville neighborhood for four years has six months to shape up or be torn down.

Jeffersonville’s Board of Public Works agreed to give the property owner of a home in the 1600 block of Kehoe Lane a little more time to repair the property or it will be razed.

A demolition request for the home was presented to the board of public works at its previous meeting. The property has been deemed unsafe and in violation of the city’s building codes since 2009 when a fire burned down a garage on the property. A lien was place on the home after the city was forced to tear down the structure in October that year. The city’s code enforcement office gave the homeowner a deadline of March 14, 2011, to begin repairs to the home, but no work had been performed when it was last inspected in February 2012.

The board of public works held off on approving the demolition of the home at its last meeting because the homeowner, Angela Albertson, said she was getting ready to make repairs and no city inspectors had been inside the home for more than a year.

Jeffersonville Planning and Zoning Director Shane Corbin said he, Building Commissioner Russ Segraves and the city’s code enforcement staff have since toured the home.

Corbin said the home is not in danger of collapsing now, but it will be if repairs are not made to the structure.

“In its current state, if progress is not done on this property, it’s just going to end up falling in on itself,” he said. “As it is, it’s a public nuisance.”

Since the property was last inspected not much has changed. 

“I went in it last week and I hadn’t been in it since 2010,” Segraves said. “It looked basically the same way it did in 2010.”

Corbin added the city has received about three complaints per month on the property.

But the board of public works was willing to offer a temporary reprieve to the homeowner.

City Attorney Les Merkley said the requirements for allowing more time to repair the property include 30 days to improve the outside of the home with siding and gutters, that the structure be habitable within six months and the city is to be provided monthly progress reports.

Before the vote, Mayor Mike Moore confirmed with Albertson that if the requirements are not met the home will be demolished.

“Within 30 days, if this has not been done, do you understand what we’re going to be doing?” he asked.

She agreed and the board approved delaying the destruction of the property unanimously.

 

Development proposal

Preliminary conversations regarding a proposed development on two parcels of land totaling 25 acres off of Veterans Parkway, adjacent to Williams Station was brought before the board Wednesday.

A developer has considered building a number of multi-family units on the site, but would need to have a zoning change approved in order to do so.

Corbin said the property is currently zoned M1 for low-density, multifamily dwellings — which would allow a single structure to house up to four units — but the developer had been inquiring about a higher density designation.

Concerns about a potential development on the site included that previous proposals on the property saw significant opposition from the neighbors and there would need to be several layers of approval if the zoning were to change.

“There would be multiple public hearings if a proposal was in fact put on the table,” Corbin said.

But there has been no proposal offered on the property.

“At this time, it’s a moot point because no one has even brought plans to be reviewed,” said Public Works Coordinator Rick Lovan.