> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
• Highlanders sweep Creek: In a potential regional matchup, Floyd Central beat Silver Creek 5-0 on Monday.
The Highlanders won all five matches in straight sets. Still, Dragons’ coach Robert Briscoe saw a lot to be happy about with his team.
“We learned a lot about ourselves today and we see the potential,” Silver Creek coach Robert Briscoe said. “We’re going to use the rest of the season to build on that. But if we didn’t learn anything today, it was a wasted day.”
In a matchup of arguably the area’s best two players, Floyd senior Olivia Boesing swept Silver Creek junior Kat Hebble, 6-2 in each set. Whitney Batliner and Dana Frank also were impressive for the Highlanders at No. 1 singles. They defeated Jenny Block and Rebekah Knittle, 6-0, 6-3.
NEXT: Silver Creek will host Clarksville, tonight; Floyd Central vs. Terre Haute North at Bedford North Lawrence, tonight.
• Mustangs down Madison: Courtney Amick, Melanie Dieterlen and Ashley Johnson each won their respective singles matches in New Washington’s 4-1 victory at Madison. At No. 1 doubles, the Mustangs’ Amanda Kemp and Christen Walker beat Katie McGee and Maddie Robinson, 7-5, 6-1.
NEXT: New Washington (3-4) at Madison Shawe, today.
• Warriorettes edge Clarksville: Scottsburg won three three-set matches to defeat Clarksville 3-2 on Monday.
Abigail Hurtgen at No. 3 singles and the No. 2 doubles duo of Bailey Duggan and Sharon Garcia were victorious for Clarksville.
NEXT: Silver Creek at Clarksville, tonight.
• Charlestown beats Salem: Charlestown swept the doubles events and won two of the three singles divisions to beat Salem 4-1 on Monday.
Jessica Renn and Suzzannah Fielding came through in the clutch with a 6-0, 4-6, 7-6 (11-9) win at No. 2 doubles. Erica Brody at No. 1 singles also won a three-set match for the Pirates.
NEXT: Charlestown at Eastern, Thursday.
• Creek beats Eastern: Cody Razer blasted two home runs, including a second-inning grand slam, to lead host Silver Creek past Eastern on Monday, 11-9. Razer ended up going 2-for-4 with five RBIs, while teammate Shae Durham was 2-for-3 with two doubles and earned the save on the mound.
Collecting two hits for the Musketeers were Kaleb Nicholson, Cody Shepherd, Dustyn Miller and Brayton Brading.
NEXT: Silver Creek (11-1, 3-0 Mid-Southern Conference) at Borden, today; Eastern hosts Henryville, today.
• Pirates beat Cougars in extras: Charlestown scored a run in the top of the eighth inning and Darren Taylor shut down North Harrison in the bottom of the frame to allow Charlestown to defeat the Cougars 4-3 on Monday.
Taylor threw eight innings, giving up five hits while striking out six. All three runs he surrendered were unearned.
Jordan Hensley-Cole went 3 for 4 with a pair of RBIs for the Pirates.
“Just a great victory tonight for our program,” Charlestown manager Ricky Romans said. “I'm so happy for the kids and extremely pleased with their effort again tonight.”
NEXT: Charlestown (9-2, 2-0 MSC) hosts Scottsburg, Thursday.