> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Patrick Elliott (Ball State men’s tennis, So.) — weekly stats: 2-0 singles record, 1-0 doubles record; top performance: No. 4 singles victory (4-6, 6-4, 6-4) in the Cardinals’ 4-3 home victory over Western Michigan on Saturday; notes: Elliott was named the Mid-American Conference Player of the Week last Wednesday; it was the first time in his collegiate career he has won the honor; team records: 15-7 overall, 4-0 MAC.
• Justin Baxtron (Indiana State men’s track, Sr.) — top performance: second in the 400-meter relay at the Sea Ray Relays last Thursday through Saturday in Knoxville, Tenn., 40.81, season-best; notes: 22nd in the 100 prelims, 10.75; 29th in the 200 prelims, 21.9; Baxtron and his teammates’ time in the 400 relay ranks ninth in ISU history.
• Kelsey Becker (Wilmington (Ohio) softball, Sr.) — weekly stats: 4-for-9, two runs scored, one RBI, one double; top performance: 2-for-3 with a double, a run scored and an RBI in the Quakers’ 6-4 home win over Baldwin-Wallace on Saturday in Game 2 of a doubleheader; notes: Wilmington has set a school record for most victories in a season; team records: 18-8 overall, 4-6 Ohio Athletic Conference.
• Drew Kissel (St. Catharine (Ky.) baseball, Fr.) — notes: one run scored in the Patriots’ 12-3 home loss last Tuesday against Mid-Continent in Game 2 of a doubleheader; also, no-decision relief outing, one inning pitched, no runs allowed, one hit, no strikeouts, no walks; team records: 33-16 overall, 9-9 Mid-South Conference; Kissel’s record: 0-0.
• Deahna Welcher (Lipscomb women’s tennis, So.) — weekly stats: 0-2 singles record, 1-0 doubles record; notes: No. 1 doubles victory (8-4) and No. 1 singles loss (6-3, 6-4) in the Bisons’ 6-1 home loss to North Florida on Saturday; team records: 7-14 overall, 2-6 Atlantic Sun Conference.
• Tiffany Welcher (Memphis women’s tennis, Sr.) — top performance: No. 2 doubles win (8-3) in the Tigers’ 4-2 loss on Sunday at Tulsa; notes: Welcher was named Conference USA Newcomer of the Year last season, along with being a second-team singles selection and a third-team doubles pick on the All-Conference USA team; team records: 16-5 overall, 3-1 Conference USA.