> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Melanie Stutsman (Western Kentucky volleyball, Floyd Central graduate, Jr.) — weekly stats: 61 assists, nine digs, seven kills, two blocks; top performance: team-high 32 assists, five digs, three kills and two blocks in the Hilltoppers’ 3-0 win over Loyola Marymount in the first round of the NCAA tournament last Friday in Stanford, Calif.; notes: match-high 29 assists, four kills and four digs in Western Kentucky’s 3-0 loss over Stanford last Saturday in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Stutsman has been selected to the American Volleyball Coaches Association All-South Region first team for the third consecutive year. The All-Region team selection makes Stutsman eligible for be picked for the AVCA All-America team; season-ending stats: team-high 1,366 assists, 256 digs, 168 kills, 22 aces; team records: 33-4 overall, 15-0 Sun Belt Conference.
• Brandon Beam (IU South Bend men’s basketball, Fr.) — notes: three points in the Titans’ 73-62 home loss to Bethel on Tuesday; team records: 6-5 overall, 4-3 Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference Division I.
• Chris Beam (IU South Bend men’s basketball, Jr.) — weekly stats: 9.5 points per game, 6-of-28 field goals, 0-of-12 3-pointers, 7-of-9 free throws, six rebounds, six assists, two steals; top performance: 13 points, shooting 5-of-17 from the field and 3-of-5 from the line, and three rebounds in the Titans’ 73-62 home setback on Tuesday against Bethel; team records: 6-5 overall, 4-3 Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference Division I.
• Anthony Lloyd (Ancilla men’s basketball, Fr.) — notes: three points in the Chargers’ 87-84 loss last Saturday at Delta; team record: 5-2.
• Cory Neel (Ohio Northern wrestling, So.) — notes: 0-2 record in the 157-pound division at the Ohio Northern University Invitational last Saturday.
• Cody Banet (IU East men’s basketball, Jr.) — notes: two rebounds and two assists in the Red Wolves’ 92-76 loss on Tuesday at Indiana Wesleyan; team record: 5-3.
• Rachel Engle (Western Kentucky volleyball, Fr.) — notes: six digs in the Hilltoppers’ 3-0 victory over Loyola Marymount last Friday in the first round of the NCAA tournament in Stanford, Calif. It was Western Kentucky’s first-ever NCAA tourney win; season-ending stats: 173 digs, 27 aces; team records: 33-4 overall, 15-0 Sun Belt.
• Ashlie Haworth (Lindsey Wilson volleyball, Sr.) — notes: Haworth and the Blue Raiders ended their season last Thursday with a 3-2 victory over Missouri Baptist in their final pool play match of the NAIA Volleyball National Championship tournament in Sioux City, Iowa; season-ending stats: 32 digs, 28 kills; team records: 30-14 overall, 12-3 Mid-South Conference.
• Brigid Morrissey (Furman women’s basketball, Jr.) — notes: two points in the Paladins’ 83-40 loss last Saturday at Chattanooga; team records: 3-4 overall, 0-2 Southern Conference.
• Connor Schellenberg (Purdue Calumet men’s basketball, Fr.) — notes: one rebound in the Peregrines’ 81-57 home loss to Cardinal Stritch on Wednesday; team records: 5-6 overall, 2-4 Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference Division II.
• Brock Slavens (Cincinnati men’s swimming, So.) — top performance: third in the 200-yard freestyle relay at the Miami (Ohio) Invitational last Thursday through last Saturday, 1:23.98; notes: fifth in the 200 medley relay, 1:33.57; sixth in the 400 medley relay, 3:27.14; seventh in the 50 free finals, 21.05; ninth in the 50 free preliminaries, 21.22; 10th in the 400 free relay, 3:07.87; 22nd in the 100 free finals (47.3) and 100 free prelims (47.46).
• Jennifer Smith (Indiana volleyball, Fr.) — notes: Smith has been named to the Academic All-Big Ten team for the fall semester. Smith is a exercise science major.
• Jamie Wallace (Indianapolis volleyball, Fr.) — notes: Wallace and the Greyhounds earned a spot in this week’s NCAA Division II Elite Eight tournament by defeating Hillsdale in the Midwest Regional final last Saturday in Indianapolis, 3-0. Indianapolis faced New Haven in the opening-round match of the Elite Eight on Thursday evening in Pensacola, Fla.; team records: 30-7 overall, 15-3 Great Lakes Valley Conference.