> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
GAMES TO WATCH (WEEKEND)
GAME OF THE WEEKEND
BOYS — Clarksville at Jeffersonville
• Time/Day: 7:30 p.m. Friday
• Records: Clarksville 5-0; Jeffersonville 4-1.
• Rankings: Clarksville, Class 2A No. 4 AP; Jeffersonville, Class 4A No. 12 AP, No. 16 coaches.
• Last year: Did not play.
• All-time series: Jeffersonville 40-7.
• Assessment: Clarksville has won a lot of games over the past three years. A win Friday would be the biggest yet. The Generals are more experienced and, early in the season, that could offset Jeff’s athletic advantage. Clarksville’s Aidan McEwen and Jeff’s Darryl Baker are the superstars, but this game may come down to which player’s teammates have the bigger night. It’s hard to image Clarksville will be intimidated — even at Johnson Arena — so this one should be tight.
• Greg’s Pick: Jeffersonville 82, Clarksville 75.
GIRLS — Providence at Charlestown (Charlestown Holiday Tournament semifinal)
• Time: 6 p.m.
• Records: Providence 6-4, Charlestown 2-7.
• Last year: Providence 41, at Charlestown 30.
• Last 10 years: Charlestown leads 14-5
• Assessment: This should be the best game of the night and perhaps of the tournament. The Pirates are looking to end a five-game losing streak, while Providence continues to make a push for its first winning season in a decade. I like the way Charlestown has been playing, even in close losses.
• Greg’s Pick: Charlestown 44, Providence 37.
GIRLS — Silver Creek vs. Clarksville (Charlestown Holiday Tournament semifinal)
• Time: Approximately 7:30 p.m.
• Records: Silver Creek 6-2, Clarksville 3-7.
• Earlier this year: At Silver Creek 56, Clarksville 24.
• Last 10 years: Silver Creek leads 13-3
• Assessment: The Dragons should get off to a good start in their quest for a three-peat.
• Greg’s Pick: Silver Creek 62, Clarksville 36.
BOYS — Scottsburg at Floyd Central
• Time/Day: 7:30 p.m.
• Records: Scottsburg 2-5; Floyd Central 1-4.
• Last year: Floyd Central 65, at Scottsburg 61.
• Last 15 years: Tied, 6-6.
• Assessment: This is one the Highlanders have to have. Otherwise, with a really tough schedule in the second half of the season, the current three-game losing streak could balloon to a much bigger number.
• Greg’s Pick: Floyd Central 66, Scottsburg 60.