> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
• COACH: Ross Shauver.
• RETURNING PLAYERS: Erin Mikel, Sr.; Allison Rademacher, Sr.; Erika Frascella, Sr.; Paige Kruer, Jr.; Morgan Mast, Jr.; Abby Ellis, So.; Sara Hurst, So.
• TOUGH OPPONENTS/TOURNAMENTS: Bedford North Lawrence, Providence, New Albany, Silver Creek; New Albany Invitational.
• OUTLOOK: The Braves lost only one player to graduation, so they will be the favorites to win a fifth Southern Athletic Conference title in a row. Shauver also hopes his veteran team can compete for the New Albany Invitational championship and the Silver Creek Sectional title. Mikel and Rademacher will be tough to beat at the top two singles spots.
• SHAUVER SAYS: “With the loss of just one varsity player from last year, we are expecting to have a pretty good year. We hope to be extremely competitive during the regular season and shoot for a first- or second-place finish in the New Albany Invitational, which will be tough. Our other goals are to win conference and try to compete with Silver Creek for sectional.”
• COACH: Chris Ryan.
• RETURNING PLAYERS: Emily Shaw, Sr.; Sarah Trotter, Sr.; Bailey Masingo, So.; Haley Trinkle, So.; Sarah Embry, So.; Erica Broady, So.; Sabina Higazy, So.; Marissa Knoebel, So.
• TOUGH OPPONENTS/TOURNAMENTS: Silver Creek; Charlestown Invitational.
• OUTLOOK: Even though the majority of their roster is underclassmen, the Pirates do not lack experience. Shaw and Trotter are seniors and the sophomores gained lots of experience last season as freshmen. Charlestown’s goal is to finish in the upper half of the Mid-Southern Conference.
• RYAN SAYS: “We want to improve our tennis games. We have a young team, but these young players had great middle school coaching and a lot of varsity experience as freshmen. I expect to see excellent attitudes, great practice and match effort, and with that the girls will be proud of their records at season’s end. Silver Creek is the premier team (in the MSC) each year. We want to compete with them and the other top conference teams, and not just be in a position looking up to them.”