News and Tribune

Clark County Sports

March 16, 2014

CLASS 2A SOUTHRIDGE REGIONAL: Clarksville wins first regional title

Generals win two OT thrillers to claim crown





Clarksville (22-2) held the lead for much of the afternoon contest against Austin, who it had defeated 51-42 on Jan. 18. 

The Generals were the beneficiary of seven first-quarter turnovers by the Eagles and took a 16-7 lead with 21.8 seconds left in the first frame after center Wyatt Kissel scored inside off a feed from McEwen. 

Austin guard Devin Richey — a former Henryville Hornet — nailed a 3-pointer with 7.1 seconds left in the first quarter to narrow the margin to 16-10 headed into the second quarter. 

Richey's backcourt mate Brian Mayfield sank a 3-pointer from the top of the key to cut the deficit to 22-20 with 3:46 remaining in the first half. After Dakota Staschke followed up an Austin miss by laying the offensive rebound in off the glass, it was 25-22 Clarksville with 2:27 remaining prior to intermission. 

Clarksville's stars gave the No. 2 Generals some breathing room headed into the half. McEwen, who nailed three 3-pointers in the first half, sank one from 25 feet away off the left wing with 1:22 remaining. After Clarksville gained the possession off a missed Austin shot, Clarksville held the ball for the last shot of the half. 

After rotating the ball around the court for about a minute, McEwen found Jones at the top of the key for a 3-point attempt from about 27 feet away from the basket which found nothing but net with less than four seconds remaining. 

The shot gave Clarksville a 31-22 lead headed into the break. 

Jones, who came into the contest averaging 20 points per game, only scored five points, but the shot was a momentum-builder.  

"Those were big shots, especially the second one," Connell said. "That gave us some confidence going into the second half, but that didn't last long, especially in the fourth quarter."

Clarksville led 39-31 after three quarters, but some uncharacteristic miscues to start the fourth quarter allowed the Eagles to creep back into the contest. Following a turnover, Hunter Spencer's field goal off a behind-the-back pass from Duncan Wooten gave Austin a 41-39 lead with about three minutes left in regulation. 

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Clark County Sports
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter