CLASS 3A SECTIONAL 31
CHARLESTOWN AT BROWN COUNTY
• TIME: 7:30 p.m.
• PLACE: Daily Hill Field.
• RECORDS: Charlestown 7-3, Brown County 6-4.
• SERIES RECORD: Charlestown leads 5-1.
• SERIES STREAK: Charlestown has won five in a row.
• LAST MEETING: Oct. 29, 2010 at Dutch Reis Field — Charlestown 54, Brown County 20, Class 3A Sectional 23 semifinal.
• KEY FACTS: The Pirates rank fifth in Class 3A and 23rd in the state in scoring defense, yielding 13.4 points per game. In their seven victories this season, Charlestown has allowed three points a contest in each win. That included five shutouts. … The Eagles are in the midst of their first winning season since 1995. That year, they posted a 10-2 record and won the lone sectional championship in program history.
• ANALYSIS: Brown County has scored 30-plus points in five of its six victories this season, including 42 in its first-round sectional win at Salem last Friday. But the Eagles will face a big challenge in trying to tally more than 30 points against the Pirates’ formidable defense.
CLASS 2A SECTIONAL 39
PROVIDENCE AT TRITON CENTRAL
• TIME: 7:30 p.m.
• PLACE: Bud Mendenhall Field.
• RECORDS: Providence 7-3, Triton Central 8-2.
• SERIES RECORD: Providence leads 3-2.
• SERIES STREAK: Triton Central has won two in a row.
• LAST MEETING: Oct. 21, 2011 at Murphy Stadium — Triton Central 31, Providence 17, Class 2A Sectional 31 first round.
• KEY FACTS: The Pioneers have won six games in a row. That is their longest winning streak since they won seven consecutive contests in 2004 when they posted an 8-4 record. … The Tigers rank fifth in 2A and 23rd in the state in scoring defense at 13.4 points per game. Providence (19.9 ppg) and Triton Central (19) rank ninth and 10th, respectively, in 2A in average final margin. The Pioneers are fifth in 2A in scoring at 39 points per contest.
• ANALYSIS: If the Pioneers can find a way to run the ball like they have during their six-game win streak versus the Tigers’ stout defense, they have a great shot of advancing to their first sectional championship game since 2007.