NORTH VERNON —
The Floyd Central girls’ tennis team began its defense of the Hoosier Hills Conference Tournament title on Monday by sweeping host Jennings County in the first round, 5-0.
At No. 1 singles, senior Olivia Boesing defeated the Panthers’ Tori Crick, 6-1, 6-1. Highlander sophomore Alexis Applegate knocked off Lucy Hearn at two singles, 6-2, 6-2. At three singles, Floyd Central freshman Alex Jamison won 6-1, 6-2.
The Highlanders’ No. 1 doubles team of Whitney Batliner and Dana Frank and their No. 2 doubles tandem of Katherine Dauby and Erin Patterson each prevailed 6-0, 6-0.
“I thought we played pretty good,” Floyd Central coach Rick Miller said. “The wind today was terribly inconsistent. It would blow 20 miles per hour and then calm down. But we adjusted to it. Our judgment helped us get the win.”
NEXT: Floyd Central (12-4) will host Seymour, HHC Tournament semifinal, Wednesday.
• Red Devils sweep Madison: Visiting Jeffersonville cruised to victory in its opening-round match in the HHC Tournament on Monday, winning at Madison 5-0.
Red Devil singles players Morgan Reilly, Kaitlin Wunsch and Larissa Neville each won their respective matches.
Jeff’s No. 1 doubles team of Julianna Jenks and Emily Lewis and its No. 2 doubles duo of Macy Lancaster and Rachel Williams each won 6-0, 6-0.
“We’re pleased with the effort after being off the last two days,” Red Devils’ coach Mark Reilly said.
NEXT: Jeff (11-5) will host Columbus East, HHC Tournament semifinal, Wednesday, 5 p.m.
• Bulldogs fall at Seymour: New Albany lost in the first round of the HHC Tournament on Monday with a 3-2 loss at Seymour.
Both of the Bulldogs’ points came from twin sisters Erin and Marin Kanii. Erin Kanii beat the Owls’ Sylvia Ashley at No. 1 singles, 6-3, 6-0. At two singles, Marin Kanii defeated Marley Vehslage, 6-1, 6-1.
NEXT: New Albany at Jennings County, HHC Tournament consolation semifinal, Wednesday, 5 p.m.
• Highlanders defeat BNL in opening round: Caroline Cato pitched six-plus innings of five-hit ball to help visiting Floyd Central defeat Bedford North Lawrence in the first round of the HHC Tournament on Monday, 3-1.
The one run Cato gave up was earned, as she had four walks and three strikeouts in improving her record to 11-2. Cato helped herself at the plate with a two-run double in a three-run second inning.
Floyd Central freshman Kassie King came in in the seventh, and forced pop outs to each of the three batters she faced to collect her second save of the season. The Highlanders’ Katelin Dreher went 2-for-3.
NEXT: Floyd Central (17-3) at Jennings County or New Albany, HHC Tournament semifinal, Wednesday.
Here are the postponements due to rain of Monday’s first-round games of the Hoosier Hills Conference baseball and softball tournaments along with reschedule dates and times:
• Floyd Central at New Albany, 6 p.m., today.
• Jeffersonville at Jennings County, 6 p.m., today.
• Madison at Jeffersonville, 5:30 p.m., today.
• Jennings County at New Albany, 6 p.m., today.