ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Jeff Thompson (Louisville baseball, Floyd Central graduate, Jr.) — notes: no-decision in a starting role in the Cardinals’ 6-4 home victory over Miami (Fla.) on Saturday in the NCAA regional, six innings pitched, one run allowed (earned), three hits, three strikeouts, two walks; Thompson was named to the All-NCAA Regional team on Sunday; he recently was named the Big East Conference Pitcher of the Year and a Louisville Slugger second-team All-American by College Baseball newspaper; Thompson also was named a semifinalist for the 2013 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award; Louisville won the regional title on Sunday with a 12-3 home win over Oklahoma State; the Cardinals will play in a NCAA Super Regional this weekend at Vanderbilt; team records: 49-12 overall, 20-4 Big East; Thompson’s record: 10-1.
• Erika Wilson (Southern Indiana women’s track, Jr.) — notes: 10th in the 10,000-meter run at the NCAA Division II Outdoor Track and Field National Championships May 23-25 in Pueblo, Colo., 37:52.1.
• Jordan Batliner (IU Southeast softball, So.) — notes: Batliner recently was an honorable-mention selection for the NAIA Softball All-America team; Batliner had a .446 batting average and a 1.47 earned-run average as a pitcher this season.
• Meghan Jones (Bellarmine women’s track, Jr.) — notes: 15th in the 400 at the NCAA Division II Outdoor Track and Field National Championships May 23-25 in Pueblo, Colo., 56.07.
• Austina Smith (Indiana Tech women’s track, So.) — top performance: fifth in the high jump at the NAIA Outdoor Track and Field National Championships May 23-25 in Marion, 5-4 1/4; notes: Smith’s leap earned her All-America status and helped the Warriors win their first national championship; she made the All-Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference second team during the outdoor season.
• Phil Forbis (Bellarmine baseball, Sr.) — season-ending stats: 2-3 record, 5.83 ERA; team records: 33-23 overall, 20-13 Great Lakes Valley Conference.
• Sean Godfrey (Ball State baseball, Jr.) — recent stats: 6-for-16, three runs scored, one RBI, one stolen base, one double; top performance: 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI in the Cardinals’ 4-1 victory over Kent State in the semifinals of the Mid-American Conference Tournament on May 25 in Avon, Ohio; notes: Godfrey recently made the All-MAC second team; season-ending stats: team-high .329 batting average, five home runs, 30 RBIs, team-high 18 stolen bases; team records: 31-24 overall, 16-12 MAC.