ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Jeff Thompson (Louisville baseball, Floyd Central graduate, Jr.) — notes: no-decision in a starting role in the Cardinals’ 6-4 home victory over Miami (Fla.) on Saturday in the NCAA regional, six innings pitched, one run allowed (earned), three hits, three strikeouts, two walks; Thompson was named to the All-NCAA Regional team on Sunday; he recently was named the Big East Conference Pitcher of the Year and a Louisville Slugger second-team All-American by College Baseball newspaper; Thompson also was named a semifinalist for the 2013 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award; Louisville won the regional title on Sunday with a 12-3 home win over Oklahoma State; the Cardinals will play in a NCAA Super Regional this weekend at Vanderbilt; team records: 49-12 overall, 20-4 Big East; Thompson’s record: 10-1.
• Erika Wilson (Southern Indiana women’s track, Jr.) — notes: 10th in the 10,000-meter run at the NCAA Division II Outdoor Track and Field National Championships May 23-25 in Pueblo, Colo., 37:52.1.
• Jordan Batliner (IU Southeast softball, So.) — notes: Batliner recently was an honorable-mention selection for the NAIA Softball All-America team; Batliner had a .446 batting average and a 1.47 earned-run average as a pitcher this season.
• Meghan Jones (Bellarmine women’s track, Jr.) — notes: 15th in the 400 at the NCAA Division II Outdoor Track and Field National Championships May 23-25 in Pueblo, Colo., 56.07.
• Austina Smith (Indiana Tech women’s track, So.) — top performance: fifth in the high jump at the NAIA Outdoor Track and Field National Championships May 23-25 in Marion, 5-4 1/4; notes: Smith’s leap earned her All-America status and helped the Warriors win their first national championship; she made the All-Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference second team during the outdoor season.
• Phil Forbis (Bellarmine baseball, Sr.) — season-ending stats: 2-3 record, 5.83 ERA; team records: 33-23 overall, 20-13 Great Lakes Valley Conference.
• Sean Godfrey (Ball State baseball, Jr.) — recent stats: 6-for-16, three runs scored, one RBI, one stolen base, one double; top performance: 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI in the Cardinals’ 4-1 victory over Kent State in the semifinals of the Mid-American Conference Tournament on May 25 in Avon, Ohio; notes: Godfrey recently made the All-MAC second team; season-ending stats: team-high .329 batting average, five home runs, 30 RBIs, team-high 18 stolen bases; team records: 31-24 overall, 16-12 MAC.
• Tyler Byrne (Louisville men’s track, Georgetown native, So.) — notes: 34th in the 10,000 semifinal at the NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field East Preliminary Rounds May 23-25 in Greensboro, N.C., 30:45.15.
• Ryan Dixon (Bellarmine baseball, So.) — season-ending stats: 2-0 record, 1.23 ERA; team records: 33-23 overall, 20-13 GLVC.
• Trey Pfund (Marian men’s golf, Sr.) — notes: Pfund was recently named to the NAIA All-America third team and a Daktronics NAIA Scholar-Athlete; it was the second time in his collegiate career Pfund has been named an All-American and the second consecutive year he has earned an NAIA Scholar-Athlete award; Pfund ended his Knights’ career as the program’s career scoring leader and setting the program’s 54-hole individual scoring record; he made the All-Crossroads League team four times, was named Crossroads League Player of the Year twice and won medalist honors in the conference tournament twice; Pfund will graduate from Marian in the fall with a double major in accounting and finance; he currently has a 3.6 grade-point average.
• Kyle Briner (Lee baseball, So.) — notes: no-decision relief outing in the Flames’ 5-4 loss to Embry-Riddle in the NAIA World Series on May 27 in Lewiston, Idaho, two-thirds of an inning, no runs allowed, no hits, no strikeouts, no walks; season-ending stats: 3-0 record, 2.55 ERA; team records: 51-12 overall, 23-5 Southern States Athletic Conference.
Recent stats are from Monday, May 20 to this past Sunday. If you have any information about an area college athlete, contact Kevin Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter at @NT_KevinHarris.
This is the last College Notebook for the 2012-13 school year. The notebook will start back up in September.
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
- Clark County Sports
HARDWOOD AFTERMATH: Revisiting Dragons’ unforgettable run
Hibbard comes through for New Albany
CLASS 3A NORTH HARRISON SECTIONAL: Dragons finish off Braves, incredible sectional run
Silver Creek capture first sectional since 2000, 37-36 over No. 8 Brownstown
CLASS 2A PAOLI SECTIONAL: Generals win back-to-back crowns
Clarksville takes big early lead, holds on for 41-32 win over crosstown rival
CLASS A BORDEN SECTIONAL: Lions fall in overtime to Lanesville
Late surge not enough for Rock Creek in 68-65 loss
Revelers and runners to come together Tuesday
It’s coming a bit earlier than the actual St. Patrick’s Day holiday, but runners and drinkers will be celebrating Tuesday, March 11, in Jeffersonville.
- PHOTO GALLERY: Boys' basketball sectional semifinals Featured teams include New Albany, Charlestown, Silver Creek, Rock Creek, Christian Academy, and Borden.
CLASS 3A NORTH HARRISON SECTIONAL: Silver Creek upsets No. 6 Corydon, 74-51
Dragons will face No. 7 Brownstown in tonight’s title game
CLASS A BORDEN SECTIONAL: Rock Creek knocks off defending champs
CAI blows big lead against Lanesville
CLASS 2A PAOLI SECTIONAL: It’s Clarksville, Providence for the title
No. 2 Generals rip Eastern 67-45, Pioneers pull away from Henryville, 58-40
ON THE SPOT — GARRETT VICK: Borden senior eyeing another sectional title
Vick increased leadership role in 2013-14
- More Clark County Sports Headlines
- HARDWOOD AFTERMATH: Revisiting Dragons’ unforgettable run