NEW ALBANY —
COMPILED BY KEVIN HARRIS
CLASS 6A SECTIONAL 8
NEW ALBANY AT CENTER GROVE
• TIME: 7 p.m.
• PLACE: Center Grove High School.
• RECORDS: New Albany 6-3, Center Grove 8-1.
• SERIES RECORD: 1-1 tie.
• SERIES STREAK: Center Grove has won one in a row.
• LAST MEETING: Nov. 15, 2002 at Center Grove — Center Grove 42, New Albany 18, Class 5A regional.
• KEY FACTS: Since the Bulldogs won their last sectional title in 2002, they have posted a 3-10 record in sectional play. Those three wins, which occurred in Class 5A Sectional 8, were a 21-12 victory over Jeffersonville in 2003, a 33-21 triumph over Evansville North in 2009 and a 32-13 win over Jeff in 2010. … The third-ranked Trojans are sixth in Class 6A in scoring (36.2 points per game), 10th in scoring defense (17.4 ppg) and third in average final margin (18.8). As for New Albany, it is eighth in 6A in scoring (35.1) and sixth in average final margin (16.8).
• ANALYSIS: Center Grove ranks 21st in the state in total offense at 423.7 yards per game. And that came against one of the toughest schedules in the state. The Bulldogs must run the ball effectively and win the field-position battle if they are to at least hang with the high-powered Trojans.
COLUMBUS NORTH AT JEFFERSONVILLE
• TIME: 7 p.m.
• PLACE: Blair Field.
• RECORDS: Jeff 5-4, Columbus North 3-6.
• SERIES RECORD: Columbus North leads 14-12.
• SERIES STREAK: Columbus North has won one in a row; Jeff has won three of the last four meetings and six of the last eight.
• LAST MEETING: Nov. 9, 2007 at Blair Field — Columbus North 42, Jeff 6, Class 5A regional.
• KEY FACTS: The Red Devils are 5-2 against the Bull Dogs at Blair Field. That includes Jeff’s last victory over North in a 1986 sectional game, 27-12. The teams used to play each other on a regular basis as members of the South Central Conference. … Red Devil tight end Dionte Allen currently holds career school records for receptions (117) and receiving yards (1,855). The senior also is tied with former Jeff standout Jerry Stephenson for first place on the Red Devils’ all-time touchdown reception list (18).
• ANALYSIS: If the Red Devils can get some of their key players healthy and back on the field on Friday, that should help them in their quest to start the sectional on a high note. But still Jeff must avoid turnovers and penalties if it wants to advance to next week’s Sectional 8 final.