ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Tyler Byrne (Louisville men’s cross country, Georgetown native, North Harrison graduate, Jr.) — top performance: first at the Mid-America Opener last Saturday in Evansville, 17:53.16, collegiate-best; notes: Byrne was named the Big East Men’s Cross Country Athlete of the Week; it was the second time in Byrne’s career that he has earned the award; the Cardinals finished first at the Mid-America Opener.
• Drew Mattingly (Huntington men’s soccer, Jr.) — top performance: eight saves in the Foresters’ 3-1 victory against host Georgetown (Ky.) at the Georgetown College Classic last Friday; team record: 3-1.
• Corey Finch (Hanover football, Fr.) — notes: Finch played in the Panthers’ 51-28 loss last Saturday at Illinois College; team record: 0-1.
• Garrett Blackman (Southern Indiana men’s cross country, Jr.) — top performance: 12th at the Stegemoller Classic last Friday in Evansville, 19:52.8.
• Will Cox (Southern Indiana men’s cross country, Jr.) — top performance: 10th at the Stegemoller Classic last Friday in Evansville, 19:45.2.
• Laura Der (Marshall volleyball, Jr.) — weekly stats: 66 kills, 47 digs, six aces, five assists, three blocks; top performance: team-high 18 kills, match-high 15 digs, three blocks, match-high two aces and two assists in the Thundering Herd’s 3-1 loss on Monday at East Tennessee State; notes: Der made the Cardinal Classic all-tournament team in Louisville last weekend; team record: 4-4.
• Rachel Engle (Western Kentucky volleyball, Fr.) — weekly stats: 21 digs, six aces, two assists, one block; top performance: 10 digs and match- and season-high four aces in the Hilltoppers’ 3-1 victory on Tuesday at Cincinnati; team record: 6-2.
• Lauren Haley (Ohio women’s soccer, Fr.) — notes: one assist and one shot in the Bobcats’ 1-0 win last Friday at Morehead State; team record: 2-3.
• Matthew Hamilton (Evansville men’s cross country, Jr.) — notes: 13th at the Mid-America Opener last Saturday in Evansville, 20:39.43.
• Ashlie Haworth (Lindsey Wilson volleyball, Sr.) — notes: nine digs in the Blue Raiders’ 3-1 loss to Park last Friday at the Columbia (Mo.) College Tournament; team records: 3-6 overall, 1-0 Mid-South Conference.
• Janice Heffernan (St. Mary’s women’s golf, So.) — notes: Heffernan shot a 27-hole score of 122 last weekend at the Anderson Women’s Golf Invitational (83 in the first round, 39 in the final nine holes).
• Cassie Holland (Asbury women’s soccer, Fr.) — notes: two shots and one shot on goal in the Eagles’ 1-0 home loss to Campbellsville on Tuesday; team record: 0-2.
• Dylan Jenney (Franklin football, So.) — notes: one reception for 5 yards in the Grizzlies’ 45-7 home loss to Mount Union (Ohio) last Saturday; team record: 0-1.
• Kyndall Merritt (Indiana volleyball, Fr.) — weekly stats: seven digs, two assists, two aces; notes: four digs in the Hoosiers’ 3-1 home victory over Cleveland State last Friday at the Indiana Invitational; team record: 5-1.
• Sam Mires (Evansville men’s cross country, Sr.) — top performance: 10th at the Mid-America Opener last Saturday in Evansville, 20:01.5.
• Loryn Queen (Tennessee-Chattanooga women’s soccer, Fr.) — notes: one shot in the Mocs’ 4-1 loss last Sunday at Austin Peay; team record: 1-3-1.
• Cole Richards (Franklin football, Sr.) — notes: one extra-point kick in Franklin’s 45-7 home setback to Mount Union (Ohio) last Saturday; team record: 0-1.
• Katy Schad (Marshall volleyball, Sr.) — weekly stats: 52 digs, 43 kills, three aces, three blocks, one assist; top performance: match-high 15 digs and 14 kills in Marshall’s 3-1 setback on Monday at East Tennessee State; team record: 4-4.
• Alysen Shireman (Campbellsville women’s soccer, So.) — notes: Shireman started in the Tigers’ 2-1 overtime home loss to Indiana Wesleyan last Thursday and their 1-0 victory on Tuesday at Asbury; team record: 1-1.
• Melanie Stutsman (Western Kentucky volleyball, Jr.) — weekly stats: 164 assists, 26 digs, 16 kills, six aces, five blocks; top performance: match-high 47 assists, four digs, three kills and match-high two aces in the Hilltoppers’ 3-0 victory over Delaware last Saturday at the Holiday Inn Jefferson Cup in Charlottesville, Va.; team record: 6-2.
• Kelsey Traughber (Spalding women’s soccer, Sr.) — weekly stats: two shots, two shots on goal, two assists, one goal; top performance: one goal, one assist and two shots on goal in the Golden Eagles’ 2-0 victory over Iowa Wesleyan last Saturday in Eureka, Ill.; team record: 2-0.