> SOUTHERN INDIANA — COMPILED BY KEVIN HARRIS
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Catlin Lilly (Memphis volleyball, New Albany graduate, Fr.) — recent stats: 46 kills, 35 digs, five blocks; top performance: 18 digs and team-high 15 kills in the Tigers’ 3-2 victory over Belmont last Friday at the Belmont Invitational; team record: 2-1.
• Rachel Boesing (Asbury volleyball, Fr.) — recent stats: 12 kills, nine digs, eight blocks, three assists; notes: six kills and two blocks in the Eagles’ 3-2 loss to Mobile at the Spring Hill College/University of Mobile Invitational on Aug. 24 in Mobile, Ala.; team record: 2-3.
• Drew Mattingly (Huntington men’s soccer, Sr.) — recent stats: seven saves; notes: four saves in the Foresters’ 2-1 victory over Mid-Continent last Friday in the Georgetown (Ky.) College Classic; team record: 2-0.
• Whitney Batliner (IU Southeast women’s tennis, Fr.) — notes: No. 3 singles win (7-5, 6-1) and No. 1 doubles loss (8-3) in the Grenadiers’ 8-1 loss on Aug. 24 at Indiana Wesleyan; team record: 0-1.
• Rebekah Burgan (Parkland women’s soccer, So.) — notes: Burgan played in the Cobras’ 2-1 loss to Iowa Western Community College at the Minnesota Kickoff in Rosemount, Minn., last Friday; she also played in both of Parkland’s preseason scrimmages; team record: 1-2.
• Laura Der (Marshall volleyball, Sr.) — recent stats: 46 digs, 37 kills, three blocks, three assists; top performance: match-high 15 kills and match-high 13 digs in the Thundering Herd’s 3-1 victory over Montana at the Jefferson Cup on Saturday in Charlottesville, Va.; notes: Der has been named to the preseason All-Conference USA team; team record: 1-2.
• Rachel Engle (Western Kentucky volleyball, So.) — recent stats: 13 kills, five blocks, two digs; notes: five kills and four blocks in the Hilltoppers’ 3-2 victory over host Purdue on Saturday at the Mortar Board Premier; team record: 2-1.
• Janice Heffernan (St. Mary’s women’s golf, Jr.) — notes: 15th at the Olivet Labor Day Tee-Off last weekend in Marshall, Mich., with a two-round score of 169, 25-over-par (88 in the first round, 81 in the final).
• Cassie Holland (Asbury women’s soccer, So.) — notes: one assist in the Eagles’ 6-2 loss on Aug. 23 at Indiana Wesleyan; team record: 0-3.
• Ali Host (Parkland women’s soccer, Fr.) — notes: one goal and one assist in the Cobras’ 2-0 home win in a preseason scrimmage against Illinois-Springfield on Aug. 23; Host also played in Parkland’s other preseason scrimmage versus Olivet Nazarene on Aug. 27 and the Cobras’ 2-1 setback to Iowa Western Community College at the Minnesota Kickoff in Rosemount, Minn., last Friday; team record: 1-2.
• Danny Laird (Northern Kentucky men’s soccer, Fr.) — notes: Laird saw action in the Norse’s 1-1 home tie with Kentucky in an exhibition match on Aug. 25; team record: 0-0-1.
• Kyndall Merritt (Indiana volleyball, So.) — recent stats: 10 digs, three assists; notes: four digs in the Hoosiers’ 3-0 home victory over Robert Morris (Pa.) last Friday at the Indiana Invitational; team record: 3-0.
• Taylor Patty (Southern Indiana women’s soccer, Fr.) — notes: Patty saw action in the Screaming Eagles’ 2-1 exhibition setback on Aug. 20 at Murray State.
• Loryn Queen (Tennessee-Chattanooga women’s soccer, So.) — recent stats: two shots; notes: one shot apiece in the Mocs’ 4-0 home loss to Austin Peay and their 3-2 setback on Sunday at Alabama State; team record: 1-2.
• Alysen Shireman (Campbellsville women’s soccer, Jr.) — notes: Shireman has played in the first three matches of the season — a 3-0 loss at Martin Methodist on Aug. 24, a 9-4 home win over Union (Ky.) last Wednesday and a 1-1 tie at Indiana Wesleyan on Saturday; team record: 1-1-1.
• Melanie Stutsman (Western Kentucky volleyball, Sr.) — recent stats: 101 assists, 21 digs, 10 kills, seven aces, six blocks; top performance: match-high 45 assists, eight digs, six blocks, match-high three aces and two kills in the Hilltoppers’ 3-2 win over host Purdue at the Mortar Board Premier on Saturday; team record: 2-1.
• Morgan Wilson (Spalding volleyball, So.) — recent stats: 47 assists, 17 digs, five aces; top performance: team-high 20 assists and three digs in the Golden Eagles’ 3-2 victory over Montclair State on Saturday at the New York University Labor Day Invitational; team record: 2-1.