> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Josh Rogers (Louisville baseball, New Albany graduate, Fr.) — top performance: winning pitcher in a starting role in the Cardinals’ 4-1 victory over Kentucky in last Sunday’s final game of the NCAA Louisville Regional, six innings pitched, one run allowed (earned), four hits, five strikeouts, no walks; notes: Rogers made the regional’s all-tournament team; in the New Albany product’s last three starts, he has registered a 1.80 ERA with 18 strikeouts in 20 innings of work; Rogers threw at least six innings in all three outings; last weekend’s regional title earned Louisville a spot in the Super Regional round of the NCAA tournament; the Cardinals are hosting Kennesaw State in the best-of-three-game series this weekend at Jim Patterson Stadium; if U of L plays Game 3 on Sunday, Rogers is scheduled to start for the Cards; team records: 48-15 overall, 19-5 American Athletic Conference; Rogers’ record: 3-3.
• Connor Curry (Southern Indiana baseball, Fr.) — notes: Curry and the Screaming Eagles won the NCAA Division II championship last Saturday by defeating Colorado Mesa, 3-2 in 12 innings in the national championship game of the NCAA Division II National Baseball Finals in Cary, N.C.; team records: 49-13 overall, 29-5 GLVC.
• Codie Hamsley (Louisville men’s track, Fr.) — notes: 40th in the discus preliminaries at the NCAA East Preliminary Rounds last Saturday in Jacksonville, Fla., 165-8.
• Trent Astle (Xavier baseball, Fr.) — notes: no-decision in a starting role in the Musketeers’ 11-8, 10-inning loss to Oregon last Sunday in an elimination game at the NCAA Vanderbilt Regional, seven innings pitched, five runs allowed (all earned), seven hits, career-high six strikeouts, three walks; season-ending stats: 5-4 record, 4.46 ERA, 28 strikeouts, 23 walks, one shutout, one save, 17 appearances, 11 starts; team records: 30-29 overall, 8-10 Big East Conference.
• Jordan Striegel (Louisville baseball, Fr.) — notes: Striegel is Rogers’ teammate and on the Cardinals’ roster for this weekend’s NCAA Super Regional; team records: 48-15 overall, 19-5 AAC.
• Tyler Byrne (Louisville men’s track, Jr.) — notes: Byrne recently received the Capital One Academic All-District 2 honor; Byrne will be competing in the 10,000-meter run at the NCAA Outdoor Championships June 11-14 in Eugene, Ore.
Weekly stats are from Friday, May 30 to this past Thursday. If you have any information about an area college athlete, contact Kevin Harris at 812-206-2117 or firstname.lastname@example.org.