> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Jeff Thompson (Louisville baseball, Floyd Central graduate, Jr.) — top performance: winning pitcher in a starting role in the Cardinals’ 6-0 victory on Saturday at Connecticut in Game 2 of a doubleheader, eight innings pitched, no runs allowed, four hits, seven strikeouts, one walk; notes: Cardinals’ coach Dan McDonnell captured his 300th career victory on Sunday in Louisville’s 3-1 win at Connecticut; team records: 42-10 overall, 17-4 Big East; Thompson’s record: 9-1.
• Dylan Martin (Ancilla baseball, So.) — season-ending stats: .261 batting average, two home runs, six RBIs; team records: 13-26 overall, 8-18 Michigan Community College Athletic Association.
• Justin Baxtron (Indiana State men’s track, Sr.) — top performance: first in the 200-meter preliminaries at the Missouri Valley Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships last Friday through Sunday in Des Moines, Iowa, 21.51; notes: second in the 100 prelims, 10.6; second in the 200 final, 21.85; fourth in the 100 final, 10.67; the Sycamores won the Missouri Valley title for the third consecutive year with 198 1/2 points.
• Tyler Rhodes (Ancilla baseball, Fr.) — season-ending stats: .165 batting average, one home run, 10 RBIs; team records: 13-26 overall, 8-18 Michigan Community College Athletic Association.
• Tiffany Welcher (Memphis women’s tennis, Sr.) — weekly stats: 1-1 singles record, 1-1 doubles record; top performance: No. 2 singles victory (6-4, 6-1) and No. 1 doubles win (8-5) in the Tigers’ 4-1 triumph over Florida State last Friday in the first round of the NCAA tournament in Tuscaloosa, Ala.; notes: the victory over the Seminoles was Memphis’ first NCAA tourney win in school history; the Tigers lost in the second round of the NCAA tournament on Saturday at Alabama, Welcher’s former school, 4-0; season-ending stats: 21-7 singles record, 27-10 doubles record; team records: 18-7 overall, 3-1 Conference USA.
• Erika Wilson (Southern Indiana women’s track, Jr.) — top performance: first in the 5,000 at the Cardinal Twilight Classic last Friday in Louisville, 17:00.87, season-best, NCAA Division II provisional time.
• Ben Boesing (Southern Indiana men’s tennis, Sr.) — notes: No. 2 doubles victory (8-2) and No. 4 singles loss (4-6, 6-2, 6-4) in the Screaming Eagles’ 5-3 to University of California-San Diego in the Round of 16 of the NCAA Division II tournament last Wednesday in Surprise, Ariz.; Boesing recently received the NCAA Elite 89 award; season-ending stats: 24-4 singles record, 24-7 doubles record; team records: 17-5 overall, 5-0 Great Lakes Valley Conference.
• Will Cox (Southern Indiana men’s track, Sr.) — notes: 28th in the 5,000 at the Cardinal Twilight Classic last Friday in Louisville, 15:36.59.
• David Frank (Indianapolis men’s golf, Jr.) — notes: 82nd at the NCAA Division II Midwest/Central Regional May 6-8 in Kenosha, Wis., with a three-round score of 231, 15-over-par (76 in the first round, 73 in the second, 82 in the final); Frank has earned a spot on the All-GLVC team.
• Meghan Jones (Bellarmine women’s track, Jr.) — top performance: second in the 1,600 relay at the Cardinal Twilight Classic last Friday in Louisville, 3:49.35.
• Samantha McClure (Tennessee-Martin softball, So.) — weekly stats: 0-for-5; notes: McClure was the starting shortstop in the Skyhawks’ 2-1 loss to Jacksonville (Ala.) State on Sunday in the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament championship in Charleston, Ill.; season-ending stats: .125 batting average, .919 fielding percentage; team records: 37-20 overall, 14-10 OVC.
• Brittany Mills (Ohio State softball, Sr.) — notes: Mills came in as a pinch runner in both of the Buckeyes’ games in the Big Ten Tournament last week in Lincoln, Neb.; team records: 34-22 overall, 10-13 Big Ten.