FLOYDS KNOBS —
Floyd Central season tickets
Floyd Central High School football season tickets will be available in the Floyd Central athletic office from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. throughout the week.
Chairback seats are available. If anyone would like to upgrade bleacher tickets to chairbacks, simply bring the bleacher tickets to the athletic office and exchange for the price difference.
Ticket prices are $15 for students, $15 for senior citizens and $20 for adults. Season tickets also will be available starting at 5 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 31 at the north gate of Weigleb Stadium.
New Washington golf scramble
The New Washington High School boys’ basketball team will be hosting its fifth annual golf scramble on Saturday, Sept. 29.
The scramble will be held at Spring Hills Golf Course in Hanover. Cost is $50 per player or $200 per team. This price includes green fees, cart, lunch and an entry for the raffle at the end of the day. Registration will begin at 8:30 a.m. and players will tee off at 9 a.m.
If interested in playing or sponsoring a hole, contact New Washington coach Jonathan May before Wednesday, Sept. 26 at email@example.com.
Vanosdol named IU Southeast assistant coach
IU Southeast softball coach Joe Witten announced on Thursday that he has hired Kate Vanosdol as one of his assistant coaches.
Vanosdol returns to the Grenadiers after playing second base for one season at IU Southeast during the 2006-07 school year. She was named to the all-Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference team and was nominated to the Freshmen All-America team.
Vanosdol transferred to the University of Southern Indiana for the 2007-08 school year and played one season for the Screaming Eagles. She has been the United States Fast-Pitch Association assistant director from 2010-2012. During that time, she has been in charge of scheduling, public relations and marketing.
Since 2008, Vanosdol has coached catchers and helped players develop their hitting skills. She also coached an under-16 summer league team from 2008-2010.
A graduate of Jennings County High School, Vanosdol was a three-time all-Hoosier Hills Conference team selection and a two-time All-District III selection.
She plans to graduate from IUPUI in May of 2013 with a degree in sports management with a minor in business.
Graceland Baptist Church League
Registration and evaluation for the Graceland Baptist Church Youth Basketball League will Oct. 6, 7, 13 and 14 at the gymnasium at Graceland Baptist Church, 3600 Kamer Miller Road, New Albany.
The times and age divisions for registration and evaluation are the following:
• Saturday, Oct. 6: 10-12-year-old boys and girls, 10 a.m.; 6-7-year-old boys and girls, noon; 8-9-year-old boys and girls, 2 p.m.
• Sunday, Oct. 7: 6-7-year-old boys and girls, 2 p.m.; 8-9-year-old boys and girls, 4 p.m.; 10-12-year-old boys and girls, 6 p.m.
• Saturday, Oct. 13: 10-12-year-old boys and girls, 10 a.m.; 6-7-year-old boys and girls, noon; 8-9-year-old boys and girls, 2 p.m.
• Sunday, Oct. 14: 6-7-year-old boys and girls, 2 p.m.; 8-9-year-old boys and girls, 4 p.m.; 10-12-year-old boys and girls, 6 p.m.
Children ages 4-5 will not have to go through evaluations, but all other players must be evaluated on one of these days.
There are limited spaces available in each age group. Leagues will close when those spaces are taken.
Games will begin in early December. Costs are $55 for the first child, $50 for the second child and $45 for each additional child.
For more information, contact Graceland Baptist Church at 812-944-6448 ext. 167 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
NFL Punt, Pass and Kick competition
An NFL Punt, Pass and Kick competition will take place at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 13 on the Clarksville High School football field. The competition is open to boys and girls ages 6-15. To register, visit www.nflppk.com.
Adams named assistant coach for Kentucky Xtreme
New Albany resident Brent Adams has been named the new assistant coach and director of media relations for the Kentucky Xtreme indoor football team. The Extreme is based in Louisville and plays in the Continental Indoor Football League.
Adams played high school football at Jasper under Indiana’s all-time winningest coach, Jerry Brewer. He played his college football at Franklin and played minor league football for the Louisville Saints of the North American Football League. Adams has been an assistant coach for the Kentucky Xtreme outdoor football team.
Adams is the former director of media relations for the Louisville Fire Arena Football team and the former sports editor at the New Albany Tribune.
FLOYDS KNOBS —
- College Sports
COLLEGE NOTEBOOK: Dec. 3, 2013
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Cody Banet (IU East men’s basketball, Sr.) — weekly stats: 22.5 points per game, 17-30 field goals, 3-8 3-pointers, 8-8 free throws, nine rebounds, eight assists, seven steals, two blocks; top performance: game-high 23 points, shooting 8-of-15 from the floor, 1-of-2 from 3-point range and 6-of-6 from the stripe, game-high six steals and five rebounds in the Red Wolves’ 84-76 win over Trinity Christian last Friday at the St. Xavier (Ill.) University Thanksgiving Classic; team records: 4-8 overall, 0-1 Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
COLLEGE NOTEBOOK: Nov. 26, 2013
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Tyler Byrne (Louisville men’s cross country, North Harrison graduate, Jr.) — top performance: 29th at the NCAA Championships on Saturday in Terre Haute, 30:37.8; notes: Byrne became the third male runner in Cardinals’ history to earn All-America honors at nationals; he finished the season placing in the top 20 in six of U of L’s seven meets.
Ellis officially signs with Louisville
Senior shortstop led Jeff in several categories last season
COLLEGE NOTEBOOK: Nov. 19, 2013
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Melanie Stutsman (Western Kentucky volleyball, Floyd Central graduate, Sr.) — weekly stats: 121 assists, 31 digs, 14 kills, 10 blocks; top performance: match-high 54 kills, 13 digs, six kills and three blocks in the Hilltoppers’ 3-2 home victory over South Alabama last Friday; notes: Stutsman became WKU’s all-time leader in assists in the South Alabama victory; she currently has 5,254 assists in her college career; the Hilltoppers clinched the outright Sun Belt Conference regular-season title with their victory over Georgia State last Wednesday; it was their third consecutive regular-season conference championship; WKU will have the No. 1 seed in this week’s Sun Belt Conference Tournament; team records: 27-5 overall, 17-1 Sun Belt.
MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Cardinals looking to pull off repeat this season
Pitino classifies Louisville’s recent run as ‘Mini Dynasty’
- COLLEGE NOTEBOOK: November 13, 2013
COLLEGE NOTEBOOK: Nov. 5, 2013
North Harrison product Byrne wins American Athletic Conference title
MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Hale to transfer to Bellarmine
Former NA standout going to D2 school after stint at Purdue
COLLEGE BASKETBALL: No. 3 Louisville open with 115-67 exhibition win
Freshman Rozier goes for 18 points, nine boards in victory over DII Kentucky Wesleyan
COLLEGE NOTEBOOK: Oct. 29, 2013
Guy named GLVC Runner of the Year
- More College Sports Headlines
- COLLEGE NOTEBOOK: Dec. 3, 2013