> SOUTHERN INDIANA — (Season-opening stats are from the start of the season until Wednesday.)
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Katy Schad (Marshall volleyball, Floyd Central graduate, Sr.) — season-opening stats: 50 kills, 44 digs, three assists, two blocks, one ace; top performance: match- and career-high 21 kills and team-high 18 digs in the Thundering Herd’s 3-2 home win over IUPUI last Saturday in the Thunder Invitational; notes: Schad was named the Thunder Invitational tournament MVP; she set a career high for kills in the tournament-opening victory against Wright State last Friday; team record: 3-0.
• Drew Mattingly (Huntington men’s soccer, Jr.) — notes: three saves in the Foresters’ 2-1 win on Aug. 21 at Concordia (Mich.); team record: 1-0.
• Laura Der (Marshall volleyball, Jr.) — top performance: team-high 19 digs, 12 kills and two blocks in the Thundering Herd’s 3-2 home triumph over Miami (Ohio) last Saturday in the Thunder Invitational; team record: 3-0.
• Rachel Engle (Western Kentucky volleyball, Fr.) — season-opening stats: 15 digs, one assist, one ace; top performance: five digs in the Hilltoppers’ 3-1 loss to Louisville at the Active Ankle Challenge last Friday in Louisville; team record: 2-2.
• Lauren Haley (Ohio women’s soccer, Fr.) — notes: Haley has come off the bench in each of the Bobcats’ first four games this season; team record: 1-3.
• Ashlie Haworth (Lindsey Wilson volleyball, Sr.) — notes: one kill in the Blue Raiders’ 3-0 home win over Asbury on Tuesday; team record: 2-2.
• Kyndall Merritt (Indiana volleyball, Fr.) — notes: one dig in the Hoosiers’ 3-1 victory last Saturday at Army in the Black Knight Invitational in West Point, N.Y.; IU proceeded to win the tournament; team record: 3-0.
• Jimmy Nungester (IU Southeast men’s tennis, Jr.) — notes: No. 5 singles loss (6-0, 6-2) and No. 1 doubles setback (8-0) in the Grenadiers’ 9-0 home loss to Indiana Wesleyan last Saturday; team record: 0-1.
• Loryn Queen (Tennessee-Chattanooga women’s soccer, Fr.) — season-opening stats: five shots, two shots on goal, one goal, one assist; top performance: four shots, two shots on goal, one goal and one assist in the Mocs’ 6-0 home victory over Tennessee Temple on Aug. 17; notes: It was Queen’s first goal and first assist of her collegiate career; team record: 1-2.
• Melanie Stutsman (Western Kentucky volleyball, Jr.) — season-opening stats: 126 assists, 22 digs, 17 kills, four blocks, one ace; top performance: team-high 40 assists, six digs and two kills in the Hilltoppers’ 3-1 loss to Louisville at the Active Ankle Challenge last Friday in Louisville; team record: 2-2.