News and Tribune

Breaking News


April 18, 2014

NASH: Feeling like Mr. Mom

— The Nash family hit another milestone last week and I don’t know if it was harder on mommy, daddy or babies. Just short of three months after the birth of our twins, my wife returned to work. For logistical reasons she returned for a couple of days last week and will work three days for a couple of weeks and return fulltime after the first of the month.

This stair step progression of returning to work was an intricate plan that was devised in order to keep us from paying for daycare until we get a few extra paychecks under our belts. Obviously our daycare bill has doubled since we first planned on starting our family, so it will be good to have a little extra cash before we have to start paying for daycare. The only problem is for this program to work I am left in charge of our household by myself for several days.

I didn’t have any trouble with the vacuum cleaner attacking either of the children or sucking up the babies’ wubby. There was no issues with various appliances acting up and I didn’t have to call any repair men, I also wasn’t forced to reheat a grilled cheese sandwich with the iron as I pressed the family’s clothes. Other then that the few days that I have been alone with the twins has been just like the 1983 classic movie “Mr. Mom,” right down to me sitting around the house all day without shaving in a smelly shirt.

I don’t know who was more nervous for me to be alone with the babies, my wife or me. I have been responsible for all of my other children at one time or another (this isn’t my first rodeo), but never did I have to take care of two small babies at the same time. I was looking forward to a little one on one time, or at least some one on two time with the babies.

Mommy has been taking good care of the twins for the past three months while I have been at work.  She has a fairly strict routine that she follows so that she is able to maintain order in the household.  She has a certain way of doing things and is not very impressed when I try to improvise. I knew that it would be a rough transition for both of us.

I had everything planned out on how I thought the first day would go, at least in my mind. I believed that after mommy would leave for work we would all stay in bed until around 8.  We would all eat some breakfast and maybe go for a morning walk. I would come back and prepare the bottles for the rest of the day and maybe we would go to the store and get something nice for dinner and have it ready when my wife returned from her long day at work. The garbage would be taken out, the dishes done the litter box changed and the house would be straightened. At least that was the plan in my mind.

The babies were awake before my wife left for work and were in and out of one state of sleep or another for the next eight hours. We have about three sets of bottles that we use for each child so you would think that if you got them all washed you would have plenty for most of the day. It seems that every time you walk into the kitchen to make another round of bottles that you had to clean them all again.

For eight straight hours we sat around the house eating, sleeping and burping. Between keeping them happy and feeding myself not a whole lot of other work got done. I thought the three of us would be able to have a little more productive day and it turned out it was harder than it looked.  

After a few days of practice I am getting into a fairly decent routine. The babies seem to enjoy a little “daddy time” a couple of days a week and I am getting pretty good at juggling two babies at the same time, even when they get a little fussy. Maybe if I had to do this fulltime I would eventually start to understand the fourth hour of “The Today Show.” Do people really drink that much wine so early in the morning?

Over the last three months our little ones have changed dramatically. They were so small when they were born and now they are like little people. They each are developing distinct personalities and every day they are more fun to be around. It won’t be long until they will be taking off in two directions and I hope I am still able to keep up with them.

 I appreciate all of the time I get to spend with our twin babies. The three of us have a blast together and  I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. Even if when my wife returns from work I’m ready to call it a day, at 4 o’clock in the afternoon.

— Matthew Nash’s brain may be like oatmeal but it wasn’t too far off before the babies came.  He can be reached at

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Easter 2014 photos

Click on any photo to purchase it.

Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
AP Video
Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN Raw: Deadly Landslide Hits Indian Village Obama Chides House GOP for Pursuing Lawsuit New Bill Aims to Curb Sexual Assault on Campus Russia Counts Cost of New US, EU Sanctions 3Doodler Bring 3-D Printing to Your Hand Six PA Cops Indicted for Robbing Drug Dealers Britain Testing Driverless Cars on Roadways Raw: Thousands Flocking to German Crop Circle At Least 20 Chikungunya Cases in New Jersey Raw: Obama Eats Ribs in Kansas City In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast Raw: Otters Enjoy Water Slides at Japan Zoo NCAA Settles Head-injury Suit, Will Change Rules Raw: Amphibious Landing Practice in Hawaii Raw: Weapons Fire Hits UN School in Gaza Raw: Rocket Launches Into Space With Cargo Ship Broken Water Main Floods UCLA
2013 Photos of the year

Take a look at our most memorable photos from 2013.