News and Tribune

Lifestyles

July 16, 2013

NEW ALBANY BICENTENNIAL: The history of NAHS

NEW ALBANY —

Editor’s note: This is part of an ongoing series about the people and events that have shaped the 200-year history of New Albany. Read all installments by clicking on the bicentennial link under the “seasonal content” header at newsandtribune.com

 

From a one-room log cabin to a huge brick complex spanning almost two city blocks, New Albany residents have always valued education. So much so that in 1853, the town created the first public high school in Indiana. Originally named Scribner High School after the city’s founders, the 160-year-old institution has weathered relocations, sporadic closures and even war. But through it all, the school persevered and remarkably transformed into the New Albany High School we know today.

Back when the Scribners first settled on the banks of the Ohio, having an informed citizenry was at the forefront of their thoughts. Within a year of their arrival, a large log cabin schoolhouse was built at the corner of State and Spring Streets. Other smaller institutions cropped up around town and by January 1821, New Albany felt it necessary to incorporate all of its schools and consolidate their control to a board of managers. 

In a 1921 article written for the Indiana Magazine of History, Mary Scribner Davis Collins detailed the early development of education in New Albany. Most importantly, learning wasn’t just a grand notion for the Scribners. They actually put their money toward bringing their ideas to fruition.

“The educational advantages of a city have much to do with its desirability as a residence and New Albany stands in the front rank in this particular,” Davis said. “The founders of the town were zealous promoters of education and a permanent endowment fund of $5,000 was set apart, the interest of which was to go perpetually for school improvement.” 

Schools would continue to come and go during the early 1800s. Bucking the trend, in 1853, the city used the accumulation of interest from the endowment fund and constructed Scribner High School on the corner of First and Spring. George H. Harrison was named principal of the institution and its 59 students. 

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Lifestyles
LOCAL MAGAZINES
Easter 2014 photos


Click on any photo to purchase it.

SPECIAL CONTENT
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
AP Video
Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue Raw: Corruption Trial Begins for Former Va Gov. The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming UN Security Council Calls for Gaza Cease-fire Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating 13 Struck by Lightning on Calif. Beach Baseball Hall of Famers Inducted Israel, Hamas Trade Fire Despite Truce in Gaza Italy's Nibali Set to Win First Tour De France Raw: Shipwrecked Concordia Completes Last Voyage Raw: Sea Turtle Hatchlings Emerge From Nest Raw: Massive Dust Storm Covers Phoenix 12-hour Cease-fire in Gaza Fighting Begins Raw: Bolivian Dancers Attempt to Break Record Raw: Israel, Palestine Supporters Rally in US Raw: Air Algerie Flight 5017 Wreckage Virginia Governor Tours Tornado Aftermath Judge Faces Heat Over Offer to Help Migrant Kids Kangaroo Goes Missing in Oklahoma More M17 Bodies Return, Sanctions on Russia Grow
2013 Photos of the year


Take a look at our most memorable photos from 2013.