> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
Heading to Wabash?
• This year: 1:07 p.m. Nov. 13 at Wabash's Byron P. Hollett Little Giant Stadium. Inter-conference rivals. Source: Wabash and DePauw websites.
• Recent series history: 2009, Wabash, 32-19; 2008 DePauw, 36-14; 2007, DePauw, 24-21; 2006 Wabash, 23-20; 2005, Wabash, 17-14
• Distance to game: It’s about a 165-mile drive up I-65, to I-465, to I-74 to get to Wabash. It takes a little bit less than three hours to see an Indiana tradition that began 120 years ago.
Butler University Bulldogs vs. Valparaiso University Crusaders, since 1927
Thanks to last year's trip to the NCAA men's basketball championship game and Gene Hackman's visit to Hinkle Fieldhouse in the 1986 classic “Hoosiers,” the small, Indianapolis-based university of less than 5,000 students is known across the country. And while Bulldog fans anxiously await a chance at redemption in March, they won't have to wait that long for a chance to break out their blue and white clothes.
Butler will travel north to Valparaiso to try to keep the Hoosier Helmet in Indianapolis for another year. The white helmet on a wooden base has a Valparaiso logo on one side and a Butler logo on the other. It was introduced in 2006.
Hit the road to Brown Field
• This year: 2 p.m. Oct. 30 at Valparaiso’s Brown Field. Pioneer Football League rivals. Source: Butlersports.com
• Recent series history: 2009, Butler, 23-14; 2008, Butler, 48-21; 2007, Valparaiso, 42-37; 2006 Butler, 32-10; 2005, Valparaiso, 34-21
• Distance to game: The 271 mile drive is a straight shot up I-65 for almost four and half-hours.
Franklin College Grizzlies vs. Hanover College Panthers, since 1898
This Indiana college football rivalry began 112 years ago with Hanover winning 18 to 11. Forty years later the Victory Bell was introduced and has been passed back and forth between the two schools ever since, with the exception of a 17-year hiatus from 1971 to 1988 due to the formation of the then Indiana Collegiate Athletic Conference. Hanover leads the all-time series 42-34-3 in 79 meetings, but the Grizzlies have been gaining on the panthers in recent years.