1. Ninth-annual Museum Day Live!; Saturday; free. The Carnegie Center for Art and History, 201 E. Spring St., New Albany, and Howard Steamboat Museum & Mansion, 1101 E. Market St., Jeffersonville, will participate in the ninth-annual Museum Day Live! event in partnership with Smithsonian Magazine. The Carnegie Center offers free admission year-round and is participating in Museum Day Live! 2013 to celebrate free access to museums for all with the Smithsonian Institution museums and participating local museums. Carnegie Center visitors do not need to download the Museum Day Live! ticket, as admission to the Center is already free. However, visitors may wish to use the ticket at other local museums that are participating in Museum Day: the Howard Steamboat Museum & Mansion, and Locust Grove, the Kentucky Derby Museum and the Kentucky Science Center, all in Louisville. Visitors who present the Museum Day Live! ticket will gain free entrance for two at participating venues for one day only. One ticket is permitted per household, per email address. For more information: [Smithsonian.com/museumday], where tickets can be downloaded.
2. Jeffersonville Italian Festival; 5 to 9 p.m. today; 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday; downtown Jeffersonville, 129 W. Court Ave., between Pearl and Spring streets; admission: $3 per person; free admission for children 5 and under. The Jeffersonville Italian Festival 2013 will give you the feeling of being at an authentic Italian neighborhood street festival in “Little Italy” without leaving Southern Indiana. Featuring authentic Italian food, music, and activities in a family-friendly atmosphere, the Jeffersonville Italian Festival 2013 allows everyone to be “Italian for a day.” Attractions include: authentic Italian foods, pastries, desserts, and drinks; live music and entertainment; world famous Franco Corso, “The Voice of Romance” Performing Saturday night; spaghetti eating, cake eating, cannoli-eating and pizza dough tossing contests sponsored by Adrienne and Co. Bakery Cafe; Beautiful Bambino Contest; children’s games and activities; Italian folk dancing lessons for adults and children; grape tossing contest sponsored by Old 502 Winery; hot pepper-eating sponsored by Sancho Miguel’s Salsa; arts and crafts vendors; bocce courts. [jeffitalianfest.com]
3. Second-annual Barn Dance and Carnival; arena at Clark County 4-H Fairgrounds, 9608 Ind. 62, Charlestown; 4 to 11 p.m. Saturday; Combination tickets will be available for meal and dance at the door. Proceeds benefit the Community Foundation of Southern Indiana-Clark County 4-H Scholarship Fund. Schedule: 4 to 7 p.m. — pulled pork and fried chicken dinner, cost: $8 for an adult meal, $5 for a child’s meal [ages 5-10], under 5 free. Also from 4 to 7 p.m., carnival games and activities for the family sponsored by various clubs in the community as a fundraiser for their purpose are available. 4 to 10 p.m. — silent auction Items from various businesses in the community will be available. 7 to 11 p.m. — square dancing with caller Tim Carmen, followed by country music featuring Dylan Johnson. Cost: $10/single, $17/couple. For more information, call 812-256-4591.
4. [Two events combined into one Top 5 entry!] Tragedy 2 Triumph Walk, 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 28; Vissing Park, 2700 Vissing Park Road, Jeffersonville. The event is a 3.1-mile walk/run to celebrate overcoming addictions. The day will be full of fun and games, complete with special speakers, prizes and food. Proceeds create scholarships for Clark County youth. For more information call the Grassroots Prevention Coalition of Clark County, 812-288-6451, ext. 2271. • Seventh-annual Ohio River Greenway 5K Run/Walk and Fitness Fun Day; 9 a.m. to noon Saturday; Ohio River Greenway, New Albany Amphitheater, 200 Water St., New Albany. Fee is $15 for 5K. Preregistration required at ohiorivergreenway.org. This is the 5K to support building the place to hold all the other runs/walks to help all of the nonprofits of our community. This year the Ohio River Greenway parried with the Floyd County Physical Activity Coalition and Floyd Memorial Hospital to include a Family Fitness Day. Schedule: 9 a.m. — Greenway 5K begins [7:30-8:30 registration]; 9:30 a.m. — family one-miler begins; 10 a.m. — Mayor Jeff Gahan’s address; 10 a.m. to noon —physical fitness demonstrations; attractions: zumba, yoga, hula-hoop contest, bike rodeo, inflatable obstacle course, golf-swing evaluation. For more information, contact Shaunna Graf, Friends of the Ohio River Greenway, at email@example.com or 812-989-9262. [ohiorivergreenway.org]
5. Fifth-annual NuLu Fest; noon to 11 p.m., Saturday; 700 block of East Market Street, Louisville; free. As the official after-party to Idea Festival 2013, NuLu is hosting a street festival celebrating the revitalization of Louisville’s East Market District. Come enjoy live music by Sonablast Records, micro-brewed beers by Louisville Beer Store and numerous food and retail booths by local vendors. There will be activities for all ages. The event is free, family-friendly and open to the public. The East Market District, also referred to as NuLu, is now best known for its art galleries, unique specialty stores, antique shops and a growing number of upscale restaurants. The term “NuLu” is a portmanteau meaning “New Louisville” [nulufest.com]