Drunken mother found with tot
Charlestown police responded to Bobby’s Sweet Shop on Halyson Road about 8:45 p.m. Aug. 10 after a concerned citizen called about an intoxicated woman pushing a child in a stroller.
After responding to the business, police spoke with a woman who said she had seen Elizabeth Richardson, 26, of Berkley Road in Charlestown, in the area with a child, later determined to be 1-year-old.
The woman reported to police she had seen Richardson nearly falling over while reaching for a baby bottle. When the woman tried to help Richardson, she refused her assistance.
The witness also reported seeing Richardson tipping the stroller forward to spill fruit juice that had accumulated on the table portion of the stroller while disregarding the safety of the child.
The witness said she had to intervene to prevent Richardson from losing control of the child and “dump [the baby] on her face,” according to the police report.
The same witness helped the mother into Bobby’s Sweet Shop, where she was found by police.
Police reported observing Richardson “ ... inside the store slumped over the cashier counter for an extended amount of time.”
Richardson then stood up with her eyes closed and appeared to be asleep, police reported, as the stroller and child were behind her and out of her sight.
The woman and a second person pushing the stroller then left the store.
When an officer spoke with Richardson, she had a “very strong odor of alcohol coming from her breath,” police reported. She also had to use the front of a police vehicle for balance.
An officer reported Richardson admitted to drinking alcohol, even though it was difficult for police to understand her slurred speech.
When police asked her where her child was, Richard said the baby was with her mother. When police asked Richardson if she had been with her child at all that day, she said had not.
When the officer pointed in the direction of the child, “ ... Richardson stated ‘Oh,’ as she stumbled forward,” according to the police report.
Police then administered a portable breath test, which Richardson returned a .31 BAC. She was taken to St. Catherine Regional Hospital for treatment before being transported to the Michael L. Becher Adult Correctional Complex.
Richardson has been preliminarily charged with neglect of a dependent and public intoxication.
She was given a $5,000 court-cash bond on Monday, but released on her own recognizance Wednesday. Richardson is scheduled to appear in court for an initial hearing Aug. 21.
She has yet to be officially charged in court.
Drunken mother found with tot
- Floyd County
- NEWS AND TRIBUNE BRIEFS — For April 25
- WEATHER FORECAST: Unsettled system means cool temps, rain
- Northside in New Albany hosting bone marrow drive
- Southern Indiana federal court needs more judges
- DRINK UP: Indulge in Derby-themed cocktails from New Albany Exchange; do-it-yourself Derby; and more
- Indiana farmers facing tough planting decisions
- Camp Quality Kentuckiana in Henryville adds to executive staff
- PROUDLY REUNITED: Floyd Central’s ‘Pride and Prejudice’ features an alum as guest director
- ‘I’m just moving forward’: Acquitted in his family’s murder, David Camm gives first public talk
- Indiana BMV extends hours for voters needing photo IDs
- More Floyd County Headlines