By CHRIS MORRIS
NEW ALBANY —
Two families were displaced following a fire Thursday night at 1118 Clark St. in New Albany.
The fire broke out around 11:18 p.m. according to New Albany Fire Chief Matt Juliot. He said the house was separated into two apartments and the fire started in the upstairs unit which was unoccupied at the time.
He said there were two adults and two children in the downstairs apartment and they were able to escape without injuries.
“Someone was beating on their door and woke them up. We don’t know who it was but they would like to thank them,” Juliot said.
Apparently the occupants of the upstairs apartment were experiencing electrical issues, and were told by the landlord that someone would check out the problem Friday, Juliot said. Since they had no electrical service, the upstairs renters left to stay with friends or family. The chief said the fire is still under investigation.
There were around 20 firefighters who battled the blaze. Juliot said older framed homes make it difficult for firefighters since there are no stops in the walls. He said all the fire goes up through the attic.
“The fire had a pretty good start when we arrived. Heavy smoke was coming out of the second floor and roof line,” he said.
One firefighter fell through the second story floor but was not injured.