The old Value City building will house the new facility. For the first year, the district will allow about 100 students in the freshman class and five to seven teachers to staff the building.
Board president Bill Wilson said should the New Tech high school prove successful, the district might consider expanding to elementary and middle school as well.
The board had wrestled with bringing the model in. Concerns, including ensuring the quality education of students at Clarksville High School was on par with the New Tech facility, were debated with board members.
• The city of Jeffersonville sent a letter in early December notifying the Clark County Wellness Center it had to close after the Indiana Medical Licensing Board suspended the license of Dr. Lea Marlow, the prescribing doctor there. Marlow wrote more than 8,000 prescriptions for nearly 3,500 patients this year, according to the attorney general. Neighborhood residents had opposed the so-called “pill mill” since its opening.
• Work continued on the Big Four Bridge, a pedestrian and bicycle connection between the downtowns of Louisville and Jeffersonville. The city of Jeffersonville finalized plans on its park at the end of the ramp to the bridge, called Big Four Station. Pedestrians should be able to cross the bridge by the middle of next year.
• Ground was broken on the new Star Hill Road, which will provide a safer and more direct route to Borden.
• The Clark County Commissioners removed three air board members and the new board voted to authorize the county attorney to pursue a legal malpractice suit against the former air board attorney, Jack Vissing.
• A Louisville Yellow Cab driver was charged with four counts of reckless homicide after officials say he crossed the center line on Ind. 111 on Oct. 28 and struck an oncoming vehicle. Charles M. Barlow, 32, has been charged in the deaths of his passengers, Michael Roby, Tara Hirsekorn and Laura Weigand and the driver of the other car, Thomas Stinson. Barlow was not on duty for the cab company at the time of the crash.
• St. Mary of Knobs, the oldest Catholic parish in the area established in 1823, moved into new church building in 2012. The new church and activity center sit on 94 acres near the old church which was built in 1909.