News and Tribune

Floyd County

November 25, 2013

COLD ALERT: Tips on winter safety preparation

INDOT, Vectren offer winter safety information

(Continued)

> SOUTHERN INDIANA — Space heater safety

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) supplemental heating equipment, such as electrical and kerosene heaters, is the leading cause of home fires during the months of December, January and February. To help prevent fires and carbon monoxide poisoning from the use of space heaters, adhere to the following tips as recommended by the NFPA.

• Install and use appliances according to the manufacturer's instructions.

• Consider using space heaters with automatic shut-off capabilities.

• Never use unvented gas or kerosene heaters in closed spaces, especially sleeping areas.

• Don’t use gas appliances such as an oven, range or clothes dryer to heat the home.

• Leave a window cracked about an inch for ventilation and fresh air. Ventilation is important to keep fuel-burning space heaters from consuming too much oxygen in the house.

• Do not leave a space heater on when you are not in the room or when you go to sleep and keep small children away from the unit at all times.

• Electric space heaters should be checked for signs of fraying or splitting wires or overheating. Likewise, electric space heaters frequently cause fires by overloading electrical outlets.

• Keep space heaters away from combustible materials/products.

• When selecting a space heater, look for one that has been tested and certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory. These heaters have been determined to meet specific safety standards, and manufacturers are required to provide important use and care information to the consumer.

 

Carbon monoxide safety

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas produced by the incomplete burning of different fuels including gasoline, kerosene, wood, coal, propane, natural gas and fuel oil. High concentrations of carbon monoxide can cause illness and excessive levels can be fatal. If you suspect carbon monoxide in your home, get fresh air immediately and call 911. To prevent carbon monoxide in your home:

• Make sure all appliances are properly installed and maintained and have a heating professional clean and check your heating and venting system every year.

• Check vents, flue pipes and chimneys for corrosion or blockage.

• Never run a vehicle or fuel-burning equipment in an enclosed place.

• Install at least one carbon monoxide detector near sleeping areas to add an extra measure of safety.

 

If you smell natural gas

In the event a gas line has been struck or ruptured outside of a home or business, residents are reminded of the following:

• Leave the area of the gas leak, as well as areas where the odor of gas is noticeable, immediately.

• Do not attempt to re-start or move powered equipment.

• Call Vectren at 1-800-227-1376 from somewhere other than the location of the gas leak. The party responsible for the damage to the gas line should also call 911 and report the incident to police and/or fire officials.

• Alert neighboring property owners of the potential leak.

• Remain in a safe area until emergency personnel arrive and do not enter the home/business or neighboring premises.

In the event a gas leak is detected inside of a home or business, residents are reminded of the following:

• Leave the home or business of the gas leak, as well as areas where the odor of gas is noticeable, immediately.

• Do not use the phone or a cell phone while in the building. If you notice the leak while talking on the phone, do not hang up.

• Do not turn any lights, appliances or any electrical sources on or off.

• Do not light matches.

• Do not open or close windows.

• Do not start a vehicle if it’s parked in a garage that’s attached to the home/business of the suspected leak nor utilize an automatic garage door opener upon exiting.

• The activities listed above could trigger an ignition if gas has significantly accumulated.

• Call Vectren at 1-800-227-1376 from somewhere other than the location of the gas leak.

• Alert neighboring property owners of the potential leak.

• Remain in a safe area until emergency personnel arrive and do not re-enter the premises.

Note: There is no charge to the customer for calling Vectren to inspect a potential gas leak. Vectren will respond 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Floyd County
LOCAL MAGAZINES
Easter 2014 photos


Click on any photo to purchase it.

SPECIAL CONTENT
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
AP Video
Two Women Narrowly Avoid Being Hit by Train In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast New Sanctions on Key Sectors of Russian Economy Crayola Announces Family Attraction in Orlando US Ready to Slap New Sanctions on Russia Kerry: Not Worried About Israeli Criticism Boater Rescued From Edge of Kentucky Dam Girl Struck by Plane on Florida Beach Dies Rodents Rampant in Gardens Around Louvre House to Vote on Slimmed-down Bill for Border Looming Demand Could Undercut Flight Safety Raw: 2 Shells Hit Fuel Tank at Gaza Power Plant Raw: Massive Explosions From Airstrikes in Gaza Giant Ketchup Bottle Water Tower Up for Sale Easier Nuclear Construction Promises Fall Short Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue Raw: Corruption Trial Begins for Former Va Gov. The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating
2013 Photos of the year


Take a look at our most memorable photos from 2013.