> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Melanie Stutsman (Western Kentucky volleyball, Floyd Central graduate, Sr.) — weekly stats: 121 assists, 31 digs, 14 kills, 10 blocks; top performance: match-high 54 kills, 13 digs, six kills and three blocks in the Hilltoppers’ 3-2 home victory over South Alabama last Friday; notes: Stutsman became WKU’s all-time leader in assists in the South Alabama victory; she currently has 5,254 assists in her college career; the Hilltoppers clinched the outright Sun Belt Conference regular-season title with their victory over Georgia State last Wednesday; it was their third consecutive regular-season conference championship; WKU will have the No. 1 seed in this week’s Sun Belt Conference Tournament; team records: 27-5 overall, 17-1 Sun Belt.
• Brandon Beam (IU South Bend men’s basketball, So.) — weekly stats: nine points per game, 6-16 field goals, 4-7 3-pointers, 2-2 free throws, three rebounds; top performance: 11 points, shooting 3-of-10 from the field, 3-of-4 from 3-point range and 2-of-2 from the stripe, in the Titans’ 84-80 home loss to Goshen last Wednesday; team record: 1-5.
• Chris Beam (IU South Bend men’s basketball, Sr.) — weekly stats: 10 points per game, 9-24 field goals, 2-5 3-pointers, 0-2 free throws, six rebounds, two assists; top performance: 11 points, shooting 5-of-8 from the floor and 1-of-2 from 3-point range, three rebounds and two assists in the Titans’ 84-80 home loss against Goshen last Wednesday; team record: 1-5.
• Taylor Thrasher (Kentucky Christian women’s basketball, Fr.) — weekly stats: 1.8 points per game, 2-4 field goals, 3-6 free throws, seven rebounds; notes: six points and five rebounds in the Knights’ 71-36 home win over Grace Bible College last Friday in the Super 8 Classic in Grayson, Ky.; team record: 4-4.
• Rachel Boesing (Asbury volleyball, Fr.) — notes: Boesing and the Eagles won the Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Tournament this weekend in Midway, Ky.; they defeated IU Southeast in Saturday’s final, 25-19, 25-17, 25-15; Asbury will be playing in the NAIA national tournament starting this coming Saturday; team records: 18-14 overall, 8-3 KIAC.
• Aaron Hayes (IU Southeast men’s basketball, Fr.) — notes: three rebounds, three assists and two points in the Grenadiers’ 94-62 home victory over Mid-Continent on Saturday; team record: 5-1.