> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
CLASS 3A CHARLESTOWN SECTIONAL
• FIRST ROUND, TUESDAY: Scottsburg (14-5) vs. North Harrison (11-9), 6 p.m.; Brownstown Central (16-2) at Charlestown (13-7), 7:30 p.m.
• FIRST ROUND, WEDNESDAY: Silver Creek (6-15) vs. Salem (8-12), 6 p.m.; Madison (13-2) vs. Corydon Central (12-7), 7:30 p.m.
• SEMIFINALS, FRIDAY: Scottsburg or North Harrison vs. Brownstown or Charlestown, 6 p.m.; Silver Creek or Salem vs. Madison or Corydon Central, 7:30 p.m.
• CHAMPIONSHIP, SATURDAY: Semifinal winners, 7:30 p.m.
• 2013 CHAMPION: Corydon Central (beat Scottsburg 55-52 for the program’s 17th sectional championship before falling to Rushville 52-32 in the regional championship).
• 2014 FAVORITE: Madison. After the seventh-ranked Cubs beat Charlestown 70-42 last week, they have to be considered the team to beat.
• SERIOUS CONTENDERS: Scottsburg, Brownstown Central, Charlestown and Corydon Central. While Madison is the favorite, there are at least five teams that could win this sectional.
• DARKHORSE: Salem and Silver Creek. The Lions have one of the most athletic teams in the sectional and the Dragons an inside presence in Kelsi Scott. Plus, both coaches have proven they can have teams ready at tournament time.
• BEST DRAW: Madison. Facing Corydon in the first round isn’t easy, but three of the sectional’s top five teams are in the other side of the bracket.
• TOUGH LUCK DRAW: Charlestown. In order to win the sectional, the Pirates will have to go through Brownstown, Scottsburg and Madison or Corydon Central. That’s just bad luck.
• BEST FIRST-ROUND MATCHUP: Brownstown vs. Charlestown. The Braves edged C’town in the regular-season matchup, but that was at Brownstown. This game could really go either way.
• BEST POTENTIAL SEMIFINAL MATCHUP: Scottsburg vs. Charlestown. This would be an interesting rematch after the Pirates beat up on the Warriorettes 76-62 on Dec. 17.
• CHAMPIONSHIP GAME PREDICTION: Madison 69, Scottsburg 63. This is a pure guess. There are about 10 possible championship game combinations and four or five potential champions.
Note: Champion goes to the Jasper Regional and will face the Vincennes champion in the opening round on Feb. 22.