> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
Jeffersonville opened with an instant classic 65-64 road win over then-Class 3A No. 2 Evansville Bosse on Darryl Baker’s 38-point performance that included a game-winning jumper in the lane with two seconds left.
If you’ve been looking for a win to validate that one, you certainly haven’t found it yet.
There’s no doubt that the Red Devils are very good after two wins last weekend by a combined 163-73. However, no one is going to confuse Seymour and Madison with top-flight competition.
Starting tonight against Kentucky No. 1 Ballard — a top-25 team nationally, according to USA Today — Jeff will get its share of tests.
In 10 days, the Devils will host Class 2A No. 4 Clarksville before going to Richmond to participate in the Bob Wettig Tournament. That field includes the host Red Devils, Guerin Catholic, Tipton, Chatard and Class 4A No. 14 Columbus North, a team they could see again in the regional.
The tournament is followed by a stretch of New Albany, Floyd Central, Providence, Columbus East, Bedford North Lawrence, Evansville Reitz and Evansville Harrison to start the new year.
It’s safe to say, we’ll know a lot about the 2012-13 Jeffersonville team very soon.
GAMES TO WATCH (TUESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY)
GAME OF THE WEEK
BOYS — Louisville Ballard at Jeffersonville
• Time: 7:30 p.m.
• Records: Ballard 2-1, Jeffersonvile 3-0.
• Rankings: Ballard, No. 1 in Kentucky, No. 24 in USA Today poll; Jeffersonville No. 12, Class 4A; No. 17 Coaches’ Poll.
• Last year: At Ballard 80, Jeffersonville 71.
• All-time series: Ballard leads 20-12 (Jeff leads 11-9 at Johnson Arena)
• Assessment: The No. 1 Bruins have three players returning who averaged double figures last season and are similar to Jeff. They’re quick, athletic and don’t have much size, with the obvious exception of 6-foot-6 bruiser Kelan Martin. Ballard features Louisville recruit Quinton Snider, who plays the points and averaged 16.9 points as a sophomore. It’s safe to say that Jeff’s pressure won’t affect the Bruins like it did Madison and Seymour. Like Jeff, Ballard has several players who can come off the bench and provide firepower. This should be an early fast-paced track meet. Win or lose, Jeff will know more about itself following Tuesday.
• Greg’s Pick: Ballard 84, Jeffersonville 78.