FLOYDS KNOBS —
FLOYD CENTRAL’S FIRST NINE GAMES
Date Opponent Score
March 29 at Louisville Southern W, 13-2/6 inn.
March 30 South Dearborn W, 5-2
March 30 Ft. Wayne Carroll W, 3-0
April 3 Jeffersonville W, 6-5
April 5 Northfield W, 9-2
April 6 Columbus East W, 4-2
April 6 Madison W, 17-3/5 inn.
April 8 at Forest Park W, 20-0/5 inn.
April 10 at New Albany W, 10-5
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Drew Reich, Charlestown
Reich tossed a no-hitter in Charlestown’s 7-0 win over Madison Shawe on Wednesday, April 3, then followed it up with a one-hitter and struck out 13 batters as the Pirates defeated Eastern 7-0 for a Mid-Southern Conference victory last Monday.
LAST WEEK’S OTHER TOP PERFORMANCES
• Garrett Sherrell, New Albany: Last Saturday, Sherrell threw a no-hitter, striking out 10 batters, and belted two doubles as the Bulldogs defeated Lowell (Mich.) 4-1. Later in the day, he went 3-for-4 with a home run and three RBIs as New Albany beat Hoosier Hills Conference rival Seymour, 13-4.
• Josh Vollstedt, Borden: Vollstedt went 3-for-4 with a double and knocked in four runs as the Braves defeated Clarksville 5-4 in 10 innings last Saturday in Game 2 of a doubleheader.
• Brooks Howell, Silver Creek: Howell had two doubles, including the game-winning two-RBI double with the bases loaded in the bottom of the seventh, to help the Dragons to a 5-4 MSC triumph over Salem last Monday.
• Cody Reister, Henryville: Reister hit a double and a home run and was the winning pitcher in the Hornets’ 14-9 win over Corydon Central last Saturday in the opener of a doubleheader.
• Andrew Hunt, Providence: Hunt surrendered just one hit as Providence beat Crawford County 11-1 in five innings on Wednesday, April 3. Hunt also had two hits in the Pioneers’ 5-4 win over Jeff last Tuesday and two more in their 13-2 defeat of Eastern last Wednesday.
• Trey Fulton, Floyd Central: Fulton with 3-for-4 with two doubles and two RBIs as the Highlanders defeated defending Class 2A state champion Northfield 9-2 last Friday.
• Drew Ellis, Jeffersonville: Ellis blasted two home runs in the Red Devils’ 5-4 loss at Providence last Tuesday.
• Shane Williams, Eastern: Williams went 3-for-4 with the Musketeers’ only RBI in a 2-1 loss to Springs Valley on Thursday, April 4.
— Sports editor Greg Mengelt