> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Jordan Batliner (IU Southeast softball, Floyd Central graduate, So.) — weekly stats: 8-for-15, six RBIs, two runs scored, one home run; 0-0 record, 2 2/3 innings pitched, two runs allowed (none earned), three hits, three strikeouts, one walk; top performance: 4-for-4 with a homer, five RBIs and two runs scored in the Grenadiers’ 11-0 victory at Midway last Friday in the first game of a doubleheader; team records: 33-7 overall, 23-3 Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference; Batliner’s record: 5-1.
• Justin Baxtron (Indiana State men’s track, Sr.) — top performance: third in the 800-meter university relay at the Drake Relays last Wednesday through Saturday, 1:26.3, school record; notes: ninth in the 400 university relay preliminaries (41.28) and 10th in the 1,600 university sprint medley relay (3:26.71).
• Kelsey Becker (Wilmington softball, Sr.) — weekly stats: 3-for-11, one RBI; top performance: 2-for-3 with an RBI in the Quakers’ 6-3 loss at Muskingum last Tuesday in the second game of a doubleheader; season-ending stats: .304 batting average, seven RBIs; team records: 20-16 overall, 5-13 Ohio Athletic Conference.
• Drew Kissel (St. Catharine (Ky.) baseball, Fr.) — notes: 0-for-1 in the Patriots’ 15-3 loss last Tuesday at Morehead State; team records: 37-21 overall, 10-11 Mid-South Conference.
• Tiffany Welcher (Memphis women’s tennis, Sr.) — notes: Welcher has earned a spot on the All-Conference USA Singles second team.
• Austin Duncan (Hanover men’s track, So.) — notes: seventh in the discus (131-4) and 18th in both the shot put (39-1-2) and hammer throw (122-8) at the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Championships last Friday and Saturday at Manchester.
• Erika Wilson (Southern Indiana women’s track, Jr.) — top performance: fourth in the 1,500 at the Bellarmine Classic on Saturday, 4:44.2.
• Garrett Blackman (Southern Indiana men’s track, Sr.) — notes: seventh in the 5,000 at the Bellarmine Classic on Saturday, 15:24.2.
• Ben Boesing (Southern Indiana men’s tennis, Sr.) — top performance: No. 4 singles victory (6-2, 6-1) and No. 2 doubles win (8-4) in the Screaming Eagles’ 5-0 home triumph on Sunday against Ferris State in the NCAA Division II Midwest Preliminary Regional Round; team records: 17-4 overall, 5-0 Great Lakes Valley Conference.
• Will Cox (Southern Indiana men’s track, Sr.) — top performance: third in the 5,000 at the Bellarmine Classic on Saturday, 14:53.
• David Frank (Indi(anapolis men’s golf, Jr.) — top performance: fifth in stroke play at the GLVC Men’s Championship April 21-23 in Columbus with a three-round score of 218, 2-over-par (74 in the first round, 73 in the second, 71 in the final); Frank won individual match with a 75 in the Greyhounds’ 4-1 victory over Lewis in the GLVC match-play championship match; notes: Frank lost individual match with a 72 in Indianapolis’ 4-1 victory in the GLVC match-play semifinal.
• Janice Heffernan (St. Mary’s women’s golf, So.) — notes: seventh in the second Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association NCAA qualifying round last Friday in Marshall, Mich., with a 15-over-par 87; sixth in the third and final MIAA NCAA qualifying round on Saturday in Marshall, Mich., with an 11-over 83.
• Meghan Jones (Bellarmine women’s track, Jr.) — top performance: first in the 400 at the Bellarmine Classic on Saturday, 55.19, NCAA Division II provisional time; notes: third in the 200, 24.6.
• Samantha McClure (Tennessee-Martin softball, So.) — notes: 0-for-1 in the Skyhawks’ 2-1 home loss to Eastern Illinois on Sunday in Game 1 of a doubleheader; team records: 31-18 overall, 12-10 Ohio Valley Conference.
• Brittany Mills (Ohio State softball, Sr.) — weekly stats: two runs scored, one stolen base; notes: one run scored and one stolen base in the Buckeyes’ 14-6 home victory in six innings over Minnesota on Sunday; team records: 30-19 overall, 9-11 Big Ten.
• Jimmy Nungester (IU Southeast men’s tennis, Jr.) — notes: No. 1 doubles loss (8-1) in the Grenadiers’ 5-1 home setback versus Asbury last Friday in the KIAC Tournament semifinals; Nungester has earned a spot on the All-KIAC team; team records: 9-8 overall, 3-3 KIAC.
• Jeff Thompson (Louisville baseball, Jr.) — top performance: winning pitcher in a starting role in the Cardinals’ 6-2 home victory over Georgetown on Saturday, 7 2-3 innings pitched, two runs scored (both earned), five hits, eight strikeouts, one walk; team records: 33-10 overall, 11-4 Big East; Thompson’s record: 7-1.