> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
It’s just one of those years.
The Clark and Floyd County girls’ basketball teams — often the class of Indiana — just weren’t very good. Only New Washington is ranked. Of the other 11 teams, only Silver Creek could be considered for a ranking. Of the other 10, only Borden and Charlestown have a real shot at winning a sectional title. (That’s not disrespect, it’s just the way it is. If I’m always pandering to our area teams, no one would take my picks seriously.)
All of Southern Indiana’s hopes may be riding on New Wash, which by the way, has a shot at doing something really special (if the Mustangs can get past a hot Borden team, that is).
Of the four area sectionals, only one is wide open and only two are seriously in question.
That doesn’t mean sectional week won’t be compelling. Without fail, they’re always more exciting than expected.
Despite the heavy favorites, there will be upsets. There will be thrilling finishes, and perhaps most importantly, there will be “Greg’s Picks.”
And here are Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s predictions:
FIRST-ROUND GIRLS’ SECTIONAL GAMES
CLASS 4A NEW ALBANY SECTIONAL
Jeffersonville (7-13) vs. Floyd Central (10-11)
• Time: 6 p.m.
• Series last 10 years: Jeffersonville 14-4.
• Regular-season matchup: At Jeffersonville 56, Floyd Central 45.
• Analysis: I know I picked Floyd in the first matchup and Jeff beat the Highlanders, but the Devils just struggle too much in putting the ball in the basket for me to pick them.
• Greg’s Pick: Floyd Central 43, Jeffersonville 37.
Bedford North Lawrence (21-0) at New Albany (9-11)
• Time: Approximately 8 p.m.
• Rankings: Bedford NL No. 2 ICGSA/IBCA.
• Series last 10 years: Bedford NL 11-2.
• Regular-season matchup: At Bedford NL 63, New Albany 28.
• Analysis: Bedford beat the Bulldogs by 35 points when New Albany was completely healthy. I expect the Bulldogs to battle and Tanner Marcum to shine (if she’s able to play), but overcoming that kind of margin is too much to ask.
• Greg’s Pick: Bedford NL 64, New Albany 40.