FLOYDS KNOBS —
TRACK & FIELD
• Jeff, Floyd split: Tyrell Dowdell and Chase Scott won two events apiece and the Jeffersonville boys won all three relays to defeat Floyd Central on Tuesday, 93-48.
Codie Hamsley won the shot put and discus for the Highlanders.
In the girls’ race, the Highlanders won 11 of the 17 events for a 93-51 victory.
NEXT: Floyd Central and Jeffersonville boys at New Albany Relays, Thursday; Floyd Central and Jeffersonville girls at Floyd Central Invitational, Friday.
• Trinity gets by Clarksville, New Wash: Trinity Lutheran won all three relays to edge Clarksville and New Washington in a boys’ track meet at New Wash.
Adan Diaz won three individual events for the Mustangs. He took first place in the 1,600-meter run in a time of 5:19.5, the 3,200 in 11:59 and the 300 hurdles in 44.9 seconds.
“I was pleased with the performance of the team, especially Adan Diaz who continues to improve with time and determination,” New Wash coach Mike Schneider said.
Jake Matthews and Marquise Parrish won twice apiece for Clarksville.
NEXT: Clarksville at Henryville, April 17; New Washington at Southwestern, April 18.
• Hornets thump Scottsburg: Visiting Henryville scored four times in the first inning and five in the fifth to beat up on Scottsburg, 12-2 in five innings on Tuesday.
Cody Reister went 2-for-4 with two doubles and five runs knocked in for the Hornets. Teammate Dakota Harrell picked up the win on the mound.
NEXT: Henryville (3-3) at Southwestern, tonight.
• Highlanders pound Rangers: In a warm-up for tonight’s big tilt against rival New Albany, Floyd Central scored 21 runs on 21 hits and ended a two-game losing streak to Forest Park with a 21-0 victory on Tuesday.
Kyle Neafus hit two doubles and two home runs in the victory. It’s the first multiple-home run game for the Floyd senior. Michael Springer and Connor Curry also homered for the Highlanders.
NEXT: Floyd Central (8-0) at New Albany, tonight.
• Big first lifts Bulldogs: New Albany scored nine times in the first and improved to 6-1 with an 11-5 victory over Madison on Tuesday.
For the Bulldogs, Brandon Johnson was 3-for-3 with a double and Garrett Sherrell was 2-for-3 with a home run and three runs driven in.
NEXT: New Albany (6-1) hosts Floyd Central, tonight.
• Borden blanks Austin: Garrett Vick threw a three-hit shutout to lead visiting Borden to a 3-0 victory over Austin on Tuesday.
Vick struck out five Eagles in the victory. Vick also knocked in two of the three runs on offense for the Braves.
Josh Vollstedt had a pair of doubles and Brian McGee hit a double for Borden.
NEXT: Borden at New Washington, Thursday.