> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
EVANSVILLE BOSSE AT JEFFERSONVILLE
• TIME: 7:30 p.m.
• PLACE: Blair Field.
• LAST YEAR’S RECORDS: Jeff 8-4, Evansville Bosse 0-10.
• SERIES RECORD: First meeting.
• KEY FACTS: The Red Devils have lost 20 consecutive season openers. The last time they won an opener was 1992 in a 39-20 home victory over Evansville Harrison. … In addition, the victory over the Warriors in ’92 marked the last time Jeff has beaten a team from the Southern Indiana Athletic Conference in the regular season. The Red Devils’ last triumph over a SIAC squad came in last year’s Class 5A Sectional 8 semifinals, as they defeated Evansville North at Blair Field, 37-27.
• ANALYSIS: If sophomore quarterback Jamal Britt can adapt quickly to the varsity game, Jeff’s offense has a shot to be as explosive as it was last year. Britt will probably be nervous once his varsity debut begins on Friday against Bosse, but if he can get the ball to senior running back Austin Hines and sure-handed tight ends Dionte Allen and Dalton Adkins, Britt should do fine. This is the Red Devils’ best chance to win their season opener in more than two decades. After going winless a year ago, Bosse clearly is not as tough as past foes in Jeff’s opener like Castle, Evansville Reitz and Louisville Eastern.
LOUISVILLE MALE AT FLOYD CENTRAL
• TIME: 7 p.m.
• PLACE: Ron Weigleb Stadium.
• LAST YEAR’S RECORDS: Floyd Central 2-8, Male 6-6.
• SERIES RECORD: Male leads 2-1.
• SERIES STREAK: Male won last year and has won two of the last three.
• LAST MEETING: Aug. 17, 2012 at Male — Male 48, Floyd Central 7.
• KEY FACTS: The Highlanders are 3-3 in season openers since Brian Glesing took over as Floyd Central’s coach in 2007. The Highlanders’ last season-opening victory happened two years ago at Weigleb Stadium against Male, 28-21. … Floyd Central’s win over Male in 2011 is the Highlanders’ lone victory over a Kentucky school in program history.
• ANALYSIS: The Highlanders’ defense has been a concern for Glesing and his coaching staff after the unit allowed 36.5 points per game last season. Floyd Central should get a good indication of how far along its defense has grown against a Male team that put 48 points on the board versus the Highlanders last season.