> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
• Gaige Klingsmith, Floyd Central: Klingsmith carried the ball 31 times on a wet Blair Field and went for 195 yards against a Jeff defense that had shut down three straight opponents. Following last week’s seven TD performance, Klingsmith had a 17-yard scoring run in the first quarter then went 82 yards on the final play of the third quarter to put the Highlanders ahead for good in their 28-14 upset win.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
• Jake Harper, Charlestown: Harper had eight tackles, a fumble recovery and an interception in Charlestown’s 14-0 shutout victory over Silver Creek. After the Pirates jumped out to an early 7-0 lead, Harper capped the scoring with a 6-yard interception return off of a Brooks Howell pass midway through the opening quarter. Harper and the Charlestown’s defense held Creek to an astonishing minus-63 rushing yards and minus-34 total yards in the Mid-Southern Conference victory.
OTHER WEEK 5 STARS
• Brandon Stout, Floyd Central: Stout had six tackles, two interceptions and two tackles for loss in the Highlanders’ 28-14 victory at Jeffersonville. Stout also caught a 13-yard TD pass fro Colton Kimm that got Floyd within 14-13 late in the third quarter.
• Jimmy Garcia, Charlestown: Garcia had eight tackles and two-and-a-half sacks in the Pirates’ win over Charlestown.
• Tuwan Payton, New Albany: Payton scored two of New Albany’s three touchdowns and rushed for 167 yards on 25 carries against No. 1 Columbus East.
• Derek Sheffield, Silver Creek: Sheffield had eight tackles in Friday’s 14-0 loss to Charlestown and now has 29 on the season after missing last year with an injury.
• Garry Posey, Floyd Central: Posey had two interceptions and a fumble recovery in the Highlanders’ HHC triumph over Jeff.
• Connery Bailey, Clarksville: Bailey had eight total tackles, including three for loss, in the Generals’ xx-6 loss at Salem.
• Wyatt Kissel, Clarksville: Kissel ran for 65 yards on seven carries and scored Clarksville’s lone touchdown in Friday’s loss at Salem.
• Chase Herron, Floyd Central: Herron had a quarterback sack and two tackles for loss as Floyd upset previously-unbeaten Jeffersonville.