> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
I haven’t gone out on a limb much this season.
I was all ready to pick Christian Academy to beat Borden in the sectional — then the Braves defeated Clarksville late in the year and I just couldn’t do it.
I penciled in Jennings County to beat New Albany last week. At the last minute, I changed my mind and went with the Bulldogs, who needed a last-second shot to beat Jennings to get into the title game.
But here I go. First time all year. Clarksville’s going to win a regional championship this weekend. And that still may not be the end of it.
Listen to me as I write this: No one at that regional is better than Providence. Perry Central is good. Linton’s also good. Neither is as good as Providence.
This is the Generals’ regional to lose.
Does that mean it won’t be tough or that I’m willing to make a guarantee? Nope.
Does that mean I fully expect to be back here writing my Class 2A semi-state pick a week from now? Yes, I do.
With Trevon Bluitt and defending champion Park Tudor out of the way, Clarksville will have a chance to win that one, as well.
In fact, No. 1, No. 3 , No. 4, No. 11 and No. 16 in Class 2A are all sitting at home this weekend while Clarksville is playing. No. 2 Tipton and No. 7 Bowman Academy are probably the state championship favorites, but it seems to be a wide-open field. Who knows what Clarksville may be able to accomplish?
Borden and Jeffersonville also have opportunities to make deep tournament runs. Both are certainly in the category of contender this weekend.
Here’s a look at this weekend’s regional matchups and picks:
CLASS 4A SEYMOUR REGIONAL
Jeffersonville (22-3) vs. Evansville Harrison (22-1)
• Time: Approximately noon.
• Radio: WHBE-680 AM, WQKC-1450 AM
• Rankings: Jeff — Class 4A No. 13 AP; IBCA No. 11; Harrison — Class 4A No. 4 AP; IBCA No. 4.
• Computer-based Sagarin Ratings: Jeffersonville 14 (Class 4A No. 14); Harrison 8 (Class 4A No. 8). According to Sagarin, Harrison is favored by 2.25 points.
• Series all-time: Jeff 4-2.
• Series last 15 years: Jeff 3-2.
• Regular-season matchup: Harrison 73, at Jeffersonville 70 on Feb. 2.
• Analysis: In a game that is expected to be so close, the Keenan Williams suspension was enough to sway me toward Harrison.
• Greg’s Pick: Harrison 77, Jeffersonville 72.