> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
TRACK AND FIELD
• New Albany sweeps tri-meet: The New Albany girls’ and boys’ teams each won their respective triangular meets on Tuesday at Providence.
In the girls’ meet, the Bulldogs scored 89 points, followed by the Pioneers with 63 and Christian Academy with three.
New Albany’s Rose Kaforski won the 800- and 1,600-meter runs, while teammate Aaliyah Bell was first in the 100 and 200. Providence’s Maryashly Betz won both hurdles events.
The New Albany boys tallied 96 points in their victory. Providence placed second with 41 points and Christian Academy was third with six. The Bulldogs’ Chandler Berry (110 hurdles, 300 hurdles) and Drew Hirsch (1,600, 3,200) each captured two events.
NEXT: New Albany boys at Floyd Central Invitational, Friday; New Albany girls at Jeffersonville, next Tuesday; Providence at Louisville Premiere Classic, Friday; Christian Academy, Borden, Southwestern at Clarksville, Monday.
• Red Devils cruise past Madison: Jeffersonville only dropped three games to win at Madison on Tuesday, 5-0.
Winning 6-0, 6-0 for the Red Devils were Larissa Neville at No. 3 singles, Jules Jenks and Emily Lewis at No. 1 doubles and Katie Bowen and Macy Lancaster at No. 2 doubles.
At No. 1 singles, Jeff’s Morgan Reilly ousted Molly McGarry, 6-0, 6-1. The Red Devils’ Kaitlin Wunsch won at two singles, 6-1, 6-0.
“For us to give up only three games in the entire match was excellent,” Jeff coach Mark Reilly said. “This is a great indicator of what kind of team this is from top to bottom.”
NEXT: Jeff (5-2) will host Jeff Invitational, Saturday.
• Silver Creek nips Generals: Silver Creek pulled out a 3-2 triumph at Clarksville on Tuesday, as the Dragons swept both doubles matches.
Silver Creek’s Kat Hebble won at No. 1 singles, while the Generals’ Jackie Slaten and Abigail Hurtgen prevailed at two and three singles, respectively.
NEXT: Silver Creek will host Austin, Thursday, April 25; Clarksville at Austin, Thursday.
• Warriors earn first win of season: Christian Academy collected its first dual-meet victory of the 2013 campaign, winning at South Central 4-1. Winning for the Warriors were Rachel Jones at No. 1 singles, Courtney Brown and Emily Mitchell at No. 1 doubles and Kacie Arrell and Callie Allison at No. 2 doubles.
NEXT: Christian Academy (1-2) at Madison Shawe, Thursday.
The following games got postponed because of rain on Tuesday:
• Seymour at New Albany softball.
• Henryville at Eastern baseball (Game called in the bottom of the second with the Hornets leading 5-0).