> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
• Highlanders rally to defeat St. X: Trailing 7-2 in the top of the seventh inning, Class 4A No. 2 Floyd Central came back to score six runs in the frame and won at Kentucky powerhouse Louisville St. Xavier on Tuesday, 8-7.
Connor Curry put the Highlanders on top for good in the seventh, smacking a two-run single to left-center field to give them a one-run advantage.
Floyd Central relief pitcher Garrett Ruttle got the win in relief. The senior pitched the final three innings, giving up one run and striking out six.
“It’s a big win, especially against a team like that,” Highlanders’ coach Casey LaDuke said. “We weren’t very sharp defensively in the first part of the game, and offensively we didn’t do anything. But in the fifth inning, we started hitting the ball.”
Floyd Central’s Jacob Snodgrass went 3-for-4, while teammate Ross Lundy was 2-for-4.
NEXT: Floyd Central (15-0) at South Central, Friday.
• Jeff defeats North Harrison: Nick Gallagher pitched a one-hit shutout with nine strikeouts to lead host Jeffersonville past North Harrison in five innings on Tuesday, 11-0.
Gallagher smacked a solo home run in the first inning, followed by teammate Drew Ellis with a three-run shot in the second.
NEXT: Jeff (8-3) will host Jasper, Friday.
• Bulldogs shut out Southern: Pitcher Brandon Johnson allowed one hit and struck out 11 batters in a winning effort to lead host New Albany past Louisville Southern on Tuesday, 8-0. The Bulldogs’ Dylan Cook and Jack Shine each went 2-for-4, with Cook smacking two doubles and driving in three runs.
NEXT: New Albany (7-4) at Clarksville, today.
• Hornets blank Eastern: In a completion of a suspended game on Tuesday, Henryville blanked host Eastern in five innings, 11-0. Bailey Hall was the winning pitcher, while teammate Austin Bowles had two hits.
NEXT: Henryville (7-4) at Lanesville, Thursday; Eastern (2-8) at Austin, Thursday.
• Braves blank West Washington: Caleb Hart and Kyle Kruer combined to throw a five-hit shutout in Borden’s 7-0 victory at West Washington. Collecting two hits for the Braves were Dylan Scott, Brian McGee, Sam Beckort and Cody Craddock.
NEXT: Borden (5-4) will host Silver Creek, Friday.
• Pirates fall to Corydon: On Monday, host Charlestown gave up two runs in the top of the eighth in a 3-1 loss to Class 3A No. 9 Corydon Central. Pirates’ pitcher Darren Taylor got the loss.
NEXT: Charlestown (12-3, 3-1 Mid-Southern Conference) will host Clarksville, Thursday.