> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
With the exception of co-favorites Clarksville and Providence drawing each other in the first round, the sectional draw really set up some nice championships.
Even at Crawford County, which Clarksville pulled off a minor upset over the Pioneers in the opening round, the Generals will still have to go through some pretty tough games to win their first sectional title since 1986. Eastern is no slouch and the Generals didn’t exactly blow them out in the regular-season contest. Then they’ll face either Crawford County or Paoli and neither make it easy for Clarksville in what should be a good title game.
At Borden, with a win over New Washington on Friday, the host Braves will face either Lanesville (13-8) or Christian Academy (11-9). Both are better than their records and are easily the second- and third-best teams in the sectional, making for an interesting title game.
Then there’s Seymour. Jeff and New Albany. The way it should be. Jeff’s the heavy favorite, but is there anyone out there who doesn’t believe the Bulldogs can push their rivals? It’s cliché, but anything can happen in a Jeff-New Albany title game.
Here’s a look at what to expect this weekend:
CLASS 4A SEYMOUR SECTIONAL
Jeffersonville (20-3) vs. Bedford North Lawrence (8-12)
• Time: 6 p.m.
• Radio: WNDA-1570 AM, WQKC-1450 AM
• Rankings: Jeffersonville — Class 4A No. 13 AP; IBCA No. 11.
• Computer-based Sagarin rankings: Jeffersonville 13 (Class 4A No. 12); Bedford North Lawrence 182 (Class 4A No. 90). According to Sagarin, Jeffersonville is favored by 26.28 points.
• Series all-time: Jeffersonville 26-21 (Bedford 5-4 in tournament games).
• Series last 15 years: Jeffersonville 13-9 (3-3 in the tournament games, including Jeff’s 69-63 win in last year’s sectional championship).
• Regular-season matchup: Jeffersonville 64, at Bedford 35 on Jan. 25.
• Analysis: With no seniors to speak of, Bedford may be a pretty tough team to beat in next year’s tournament. As for Friday, it will be no contest again.
• Greg’s Pick: Jeffersonville 75, Bedford NL 51.