> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
LOUISVILLE HOLY CROSS AT PROVIDENCE
• TIME: 7 p.m.
• PLACE: Murphy Stadium.
• RECORDS: Providence 0-2, Holy Cross 1-1.
• SERIES RECORD: N/A.
• SERIES STREAK: Providence won last year; Holy Cross has prevailed in three of the last four meetings.
• LAST MEETING: Aug. 31, 2012 at Holy Cross — Providence 28, Holy Cross 7.
• KEY FACTS: The Pioneers and the Cougars have played each other the past two seasons. Holy Cross defeated Providence at Murphy Stadium in 2011 (41-8) before falling to the Pioneers last season. … Providence is 0-2 for the first time since 2008. That year the Pioneers bounced back to post a 5-5 mark and lose in the first round of Class 2A Sectional 31 to Brownstown, 17-7.
• ANALYSIS: Providence’s defense has had a couple of tough weeks. The Pioneers have given up an average of 44 points per contest and 400-plus total yards in each of their two losses. Last week, Providence gave up 60 points, which rarely has happened to the Pioneers in their history. Their defense needs to step it up a notch if they intend to have a winning record in 2013.
BROWNSTOWN CENTRAL AT EASTERN
• TIME: 7 p.m.
• PLACE: Eastern High School.
• RECORDS: Eastern 1-1, 1-0 MSC; Brownstown 2-0, 1-0.
• SERIES RECORD: Brownstown leads 6-0.
• SERIES STREAK: Brownstown has won six in a row.
• LAST MEETING: Aug. 31, 2012 at Blevins Stadium — Brownstown 47, Eastern 7.
• KEY FACTS: The Musketeers’ 55 points in their victory at Clarksville last week were a school record. The previous mark was in a 52-16 home win over Eastern Greene in 2010. … The Braves have averaged 47.2 points per game in their six wins over Eastern. They have scored more than 50 points against the Musketeers three times.
• ANALYSIS: Eastern has got to run the ball solidly like last week and not turn the ball over if it wants to at least hang tight with Brownstown. But that will not be easy versus the Braves’ always-formidable defense.