News and Tribune

Letters

October 17, 2012

NEWS AND TRIBUNE LETTERS — For Oct.17

(Continued)

Reader backs Donnelly for Senate

I must take issue with Americans for Prosperity’s assertion that Indiana Congressman Joe Donnelly is “following Obama’s lead every time.”

Some of you may have received a green-colored flier by mail which attempts to align Donnelly with President Obama and faults him on investing in renewable energy and so burdening Hoosier small business owners. The charges are blatantly false and detract from the truth that Donnelly is a moderate, a forward thinker and a staunch supporter of the residents of Indiana.

Just so you know something about Americans for Prosperity, the Director is Art Pope, millionaire businessman from North Carolina, whose close allies are the billionaire Koch Brothers, who have waged relentless attacks on our democracy. Pope is North Carolina’s biggest political donor. He uses his customer’s cash to finance a network that serves the interests of the top 1 percent but hurts the rest of us in the 99 percent.

Richard Mourdock allied with the Tea Party in pursuing a Chrysler lawsuit that would have eliminated more than 4,000 high-paying Indiana jobs. Just after defeating Dick Lugar in the primary, Mourdock stated he believes “bipartisanship is the Democrates coming to the Republican point of view.”

Verification is available on Ask.com, Wikipedia, Facts.com and various web sites.

Although I personally believe it is crucial that we re-elect the president, I support Donnelly independently of Democratic allegiance.I support him because he takes pride in the people he represents and will work in true bipartisanship for our best interests.

— Linda Cunningham, Jeffersonville

 

The success of the Sister Cities program

One of the programs of the Clarksville Sister Cities is an exchange of visits by students from our Sister City in France, La Garenne-Colombes, and students from Southern Indiana. The students stay with families, and also get an opportunity to visit attractions in the area.

One of the previous participants, Claire Jaksimovic, is now teaching an English class in a school in La Garenne-Colombes. She wrote to Sister Cities to tell us about her opportunity. This is from her e-mail:

“This is Claire Jaksimovic, and I went to Providence High School and was involved in the Sister City exchange program with La Garenne-Colombes. I know it has been awhile since we have spoken, but I have very exciting news. In two weeks I will be going to La Garenne-Colombes to be an English teaching assistant at College les Champs Philippe for the next eight months. I am ecstatic to have this opportunity, so I just wanted to thank you for working so hard for our Sister City program.

“Without getting involved my sophomore year in high school, I would have never had the chance to have this life-changing experience. I wanted to let you know how the program has affected my life, and how it is sending me back to La Garenne (which is a pretty amazing thing.)

“Again, thank you for keeping this program alive. It is truly a blessing that we have these opportunities to interact with differing cultures. Thank you so much for everything, and I can’t wait to see our students in March.”

We think this program is a wonderful chance for students from Southern Indiana to meet and get to know people from other culture. We thank those who have participated as hosts and whose students have had the chance to visit La Garenne to get to know the people and the culture even better.

— Patricia Fraser, president, Clarksville Sister Cities

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Letters