Free Thanksgiving zumba
The city of Jeffersonville is hosting a free zumba class on Thanksgiving with a donation of food or a toy that will benefit the Center for Lay Ministries.
Shake while it bakes zumba class will be held from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 28, at Nachand Fieldhouse, 601 E. Court Ave.
Admission to the zumba class is free with the donation of two or more canned goods or a new toy. The items collected will be donated to the Center for Lay Ministries’ food pantry and toy relief.
For more information call Maggie Tully-O’Neal at 812-989-0971.
Christmas concert planned
“The Voices of Bethel” of Bethel A.M.E. Church, 200 West Park Place, Jeffersonville, will host a Christmas Concert titled: “Celebrating the Reason for the Season” at 3 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 7, at the church.
Celebrate Christmas in Charlestown
Celebrate Christmas as a family at the Charlestown Library, 51 Clark Road, Charlestown, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Friday, Nov. 29.
The library is sponsoring a Santa Party with a fun Christmas craft, a Christmas movie and a visit from Santa. Due to limited space, registration is required. Call 812-256-337 to register or register online at www.clarkco.lib.in.us.
Center closed during holidays
Holiday closures for Falls of the Ohio Interpretive Center, 201 W. Riverside Dr., Clarksville
Falls of the Ohio Interpretive Center will be closed, or have reduced hours on the following upcoming holidays:
• Thursday, Nov. 28: The center will be closed.
• Tuesday, Dec. 24, and Wednesday, Dec. 25: The center will be closed.
• Tuesday, Jan. 1: The center will have reduced holiday hours from 1 to 4 p.m.
Admission to the Interpretive Center costs $2 for ages 2-18 or $5 for ages 19 and older.
Teen holiday crafts at library
Attention teens — start the holidays with a craft and have some fun at the Charlestown-Clark County Public Library. Come to one of the five programs in November or December. Create a small craft, find some good holidays reads, and/or just hang out. All materials will be provided. This program is open to teens 13-18. Registration is required and space is limited. To register, please visit www.clarkco.lib.in.us, or call one of the branches.
• 3 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 27, Charlestown Library, 51 Clark Road, Charlestown
• 2 p.m., Friday, Nov. 29, Henryville Library, 214 N. Main St., Henryville
• 4 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 5, Sellersburg Library, 430 N. Indiana Ave., Sellersburg
• 3:30 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 10, at New Washington Library, 120 S. Poplar Dr., New Washington
• 3:30 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 16, Borden Library, 117 Main St., Borden
Learn healthy Mexican cooking
Expand your knowledge of Mexican Cuisine. There will be a program at the New Albany-Floyd County Public Library at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 2, in the Applegate Room giving more healthy alternatives to fried Mexican foods. Come and sample ensalada de nopal (cactus salad), sopa con verduras (vegetable soup), and more.
There will be samples and recipes to share. This will be a bilingual program. For more information call the Reference Services Desk at 812-949.3523.
District looks to fill vacancy
The Floyd County Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) will be accepting nominations for a SWCD elected supervisor position. Elected supervisors are public officials responsible for setting policy that develops programs to address local natural resource concerns. Supervisors will serve a three year term on a board of three elected and two appointed supervisors. Interested persons may seek an application form at: 2524 Corydon Pike, Suite 103, Pine View Government Center, New Albany.
Elected supervisors must be an occupier of a tract of land that is located in the district (Floyd County), and they must also maintain permanent residence within the district.
The deadline for applying is Nov. 28. For more information, please call 812-945-9936.
The annual JingleWalk and HolidayFest
The annual JingleWalk and HolidayFest Historic Downtown New Albany kicks off the Holiday Season on Nov. 30.
• Jingle Walk, 1 to 6 p.m.
The day of fun begins with the Jingle Walk at 1 p.m. Sample local wines from area wineries while shopping in Historic Downtown. If you haven't visited downtown recently you will see a downtown full of locally owned stores, boutiques, museums and art galleries. Current participating wineries include Cedar Creek Winery, Best Winery, Huber's Winery, Mallow Run Winery, Old 502 Winery, Winzerwald Winery, Indian Creek Winery and Keg Liquors. Must be of legal drinking age to participate on the Jingle Walk.
• HolidayFest, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
HolidayFest is the family friendly activities for the celebration and will include performances from local dance troupes in the Main Source Parking Area and Craft/Gift Making, Toy Giveaways, Face Painting, Ornament Making activities will take place at the Floyd County YMCA.
• Light Up New Albany, 6:30 p.m.
A message from the Mayor of New Albany, announcement of Jingle Walk Prize winners, the arrival of Santa Claus and the lighting of the Downtown Christmas Tree will conclude the day of Holiday Fun.
- Recent Local News
- NEWS AND TRIBUNE BRIEFS — For April 19-20
- Board member asks for old Indiana school standards
- REMEMBERING HIM: Good Friday services held in Southern Indiana
- Local Lilly Scholars named
- East-end bridge work to cause traffic delays
- Fire burns garage of Jeffersonville apartment
- AP's 10 things to know today
- 2 Indianapolis officers dead in murder-suicide
- NEWS AND TRIBUNE BRIEFS — For April 18
New Albany City Council weighing options for fire truck purchase
The city has the cash on hand, but may choose to finance the purchase of a new ladder truck for the New Albany Fire Department.
With all members voting in favor, the New Albany City Council moved forward with a $2.25 million appropriation on Thursday for paving, the purchase of a salt truck for the New Albany Street Department and the fire truck.
Improvements approved for Clarksville High
A $2 million bond issuance to repair the auditorium and fine arts wing at Clarksville High School was initiated at a series of board meetings this week.
- Motorcycle Involved In Collission
- Gibson takes plea in Hodella murder
- Jeffersonville, Clarksville library branches go offline for updates
- EGG-CELLENT: Where to hunt Easter eggs in Southern Indiana
- More Recent Local News Headlines