An 87-year-old Jeffersonville woman died after succumbing to injuries sustained in an automobile accident on East 10th Street about 3 p.m. Wednesday.
Georgie L. Avery, of 1024 Springdale Drive, was air lifted to University of Louisville Hospital from the wreck scene. The Jeffersonville Police Department reported that Avery was pulling out of Gray and Wells Body Shop located at 2005 E. 10 St. and was preparing to turn left onto the roadway.
Before Avery crossed the median, the driver’s-side door of her 2002 S40 Volvo was struck by an oncoming 2011 Ford F-150 driven by Tricia L. Jaggers, 40, of Jeffersonville. Jaggers told police she was traveling between 35 mph and 40 mph when Avery’s vehicle entered the path of her pickup truck. Jaggers also told police she did not have time to apply her brakes before the front of her vehicle struck the side of Avery’s Volvo.
According to the accident report, Avery suffered severe bleeding to her head following the collision. Avery was wearing her seat belt and the vehicle’s airbag deployed at time of impact, according to the report.
Police identified the cause of the accident as Avery’s failure to yield to oncoming traffic.
No charges are pending against Jaggers, police said.
Police said Avery was previously employed in the records office of at JPD.
Thursday’s collision on 10th St. killed former JPD worker
- Recent Local News
- Stormwater project in Clarksville causes concern among neighbors
- Blue ink cleaned from New Albany creek
- MELTING IGLOOS: River Ridge eyes equipment to demo Army storage facilities
- New rules for Clark County Drug Court
- Jeffersonville man arrested in Louisville after pursuit
- New Albany's Main Street to close for median work
- Gay couples’ lawyers object to full-court hearing in Indiana
- Federal appeals court deals blow to health law
- Man leads police on chase from Jeffersonville into Louisville
- Clark Memorial partnering with company for mental health assessments
- Greater Clark County Schools lists 2014-15 registration, schedule information
- Collaborate and listen: Greater Clark conference focuses on online connections to experts
- NEWS AND TRIBUNE BRIEFS — For July 22
- Need for security at Big Four Bridge on top of Jeffersonville officials' minds
- Proposed Georgetown subdivision gets first approval
- More Recent Local News Headlines