An 87-year-old Jeffersonville woman died after succumbing to injuries sustained in an automobile accident on East 10th Street about 3 p.m. Wednesday.
Georgie L. Avery, of 1024 Springdale Drive, was air lifted to University of Louisville Hospital from the wreck scene. The Jeffersonville Police Department reported that Avery was pulling out of Gray and Wells Body Shop located at 2005 E. 10 St. and was preparing to turn left onto the roadway.
Before Avery crossed the median, the driver’s-side door of her 2002 S40 Volvo was struck by an oncoming 2011 Ford F-150 driven by Tricia L. Jaggers, 40, of Jeffersonville. Jaggers told police she was traveling between 35 mph and 40 mph when Avery’s vehicle entered the path of her pickup truck. Jaggers also told police she did not have time to apply her brakes before the front of her vehicle struck the side of Avery’s Volvo.
According to the accident report, Avery suffered severe bleeding to her head following the collision. Avery was wearing her seat belt and the vehicle’s airbag deployed at time of impact, according to the report.
Police identified the cause of the accident as Avery’s failure to yield to oncoming traffic.
No charges are pending against Jaggers, police said.
Police said Avery was previously employed in the records office of at JPD.
Thursday’s collision on 10th St. killed former JPD worker
- Recent Local News
- THE LATEST: Clark County Sheriff Danny Rodden indicted on federal charges
- Clark County Sheriff Rodden takes leave of absence
- MOSS: Luckert ready for a new career — retirement
- NEWS AND TRIBUNE BRIEFS — For July 30
- Renaissance Academy ceremony begins new era of school in Clarksville
- JAIL ACTIVITY — For Wednesday, July 30
- Letters reveal Gibson’s account of murders
- RODDEN INDICTMENT: ‘Totally in shock’ in Clark County
- Clark County Sheriff Danny Rodden appears in Indianapolis court, then released
- East Main Street in New Albany to close Monday
- DRINK UP: Thirsty Pedaler coming to Jeffersonville
- Clark County sheriff indicted on federal charges; has initial court appearance in Indianapolis
- Lane of I-65 north in Jeffersonville reopens to traffic
- JAIL ACTIVITY — For Tuesday, July 29
GIBSON SENTENCING HEARING: Sister, ex-wife say Gibson struggled with alcoholism
The second day of the sentencing hearing for three-time convicted murderer William Clyde Gibson began Tuesday with his defense calling its first witness.
- More Recent Local News Headlines