An 87-year-old Jeffersonville woman died after succumbing to injuries sustained in an automobile accident on East 10th Street about 3 p.m. Wednesday.
Georgie L. Avery, of 1024 Springdale Drive, was air lifted to University of Louisville Hospital from the wreck scene. The Jeffersonville Police Department reported that Avery was pulling out of Gray and Wells Body Shop located at 2005 E. 10 St. and was preparing to turn left onto the roadway.
Before Avery crossed the median, the driver’s-side door of her 2002 S40 Volvo was struck by an oncoming 2011 Ford F-150 driven by Tricia L. Jaggers, 40, of Jeffersonville. Jaggers told police she was traveling between 35 mph and 40 mph when Avery’s vehicle entered the path of her pickup truck. Jaggers also told police she did not have time to apply her brakes before the front of her vehicle struck the side of Avery’s Volvo.
According to the accident report, Avery suffered severe bleeding to her head following the collision. Avery was wearing her seat belt and the vehicle’s airbag deployed at time of impact, according to the report.
Police identified the cause of the accident as Avery’s failure to yield to oncoming traffic.
No charges are pending against Jaggers, police said.
Police said Avery was previously employed in the records office of at JPD.
Thursday’s collision on 10th St. killed former JPD worker
- Recent Local News
- Mayors oppose business tax repeal without replacement dollars
- Wish Book: Learning to smile
- NEWS AND TRIBUNE BRIEFS — For Dec. 5
- Shotgun shift in New Albany: circa-1890 shotgun-style house moved for restoration
- More road closures scheduled near Ind. 62 in Jeffersonville
- Greater Clark Schools readying wellness clinic
- Man dies in wreck on Clark Memorial Bridge
- 6 P.M. UPDATE: Winter storm warning issued for area
- Floyd County wreck sends driver to hospital
- Wish Book: Generations of love
- Burgers + Beer + open in Jeffersonville
- New Albany Bicentennial — Fuzzy Zoeller
- Cops for Kids
- NEWS AND TRIBUNE BRIEFS — For Dec. 4
- Residents fight proposed zoning change near Highlander Point
- More Recent Local News Headlines